Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spirit acts a bit differently based on where she is, I'm assuming most dogs do. My problem is that I believe she treats other houses we visit as her own. This manifest in 2 behaviors:

1. She barks at any one who comes near the house, finds me, then barks until they go away or I acknowledge them. (This is ok, even desired at my house, but questionable at other people's house)

2. If a guy separates from the group (i.e. walks to the kitchen while I stay on the couch) or she hasn't seen my "touch of approval" (hand on their shoulder) she will bark at them.

This only seems to happen at houses I visit often. Never at those I visit on rare occasion. Any idea how I explain that every house I visit isn't our house?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
This could be worse. She could be peeing at other people's houses.

Are you sure this doesn't center on you? If it does, you'll have a heckuva time convincing her you only need to be protected at your house.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If you figure out the answer I would be thrilled to know. ;p

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure this doesn't center on you? If it does, you'll have a heckuva time convincing her you only need to be protected at your house.
I don't know for sure. I always assumed she was just protecting the house.

Among other issues my mom said both of those happened when she dog sat at her house. I've never seen her bark at other humans during a walk or at the dog park except for Jamaican males (My family & many friends are Jamaican). I suppose I should also mention that I used to live in my parents' house for 15+ years and most of the same furniture is still there. Perhaps a faint traces of my scent is still present.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts