Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

My Great Dane (9 & half years) has Ascites. No cure.

564 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  constantine999 
#1 ·
Hi I am new here. Ihave a GreatDane. He is 9&half years of age. His name is Rambo and is suffering from Ascites. His belly has swolen up from fluids. This has happened due to his heart failing slowly. So the surgery is not an option as of now. The doctor said the condition cannot be cured but can only be managed at this age. But now even the medicine has failed to controll it. Rambo has become lethargic and keeps lying sideways, probably to stop the pain. He hasn't eaten in two days. And looks like he is slowly giving up on everything. I can see it that he is getting really uncomfortable and its hurting him. I love him, but do not want him to suffer. I am considering euthanizing him. Please advise.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry you're here because of such horrible circumstances.

What I have always thought about when to euthanize is as follows - pick three things your dog loves to do. When he can no longer do two of them, then it's time. It sounds to me like Rambo is in pretty horrible pain, especially if he won't eat. While no one can make the final choice besides you, what I would lean towards from what you described of his condition is that it's time to say goodbye. Twenty days too early is better than one day too late, in my opinion.

If you decide that now is the time, please consider staying with him during the euthanasia process. As much as it may tear you apart, that is the ultimate service you can provide to your dog - being there for him at the end.

I'm really sorry you have to make that choice. Having recently made that decision for one of my own dogs, I know that it's the worst feeling in the world. Good luck with your decision and please post again if you have any more questions or need some support.

#5 ·
Thanks for the support @hector4, Sunak, Hiraeth! I somehow knew all along that putting him to sleep is the answer. I had him euthanized 12 hrs ago. I stayed with him during the procedure. I just hope he didn't feel anything or know what was happening. His breathing slowed down within a matter of seconds. He looked confused. I am an adult but i havent cried like this ever. It was heart breaking man. I could see the light go out of his eyes! This moment will haunt me forever. I don't have a couple of dogs. I just had one. Whom i have cared for like hell. Hope he knew that. Everything at my place now reminds me of him. I see him everywhere. I see a god damn great dane everywhere.

#7 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Try to take comfort in knowing that you absolutely did the right thing - as dog owners, it's our duty to make sure that they don't suffer needlessly. You did your job and took on more pain so that your dog would feel less.

There aren't many words of comfort I can give, honestly. I lost my dog Loki almost three months ago, and I still cry about him every day. It will never hurt less. It will just hurt less often. Give yourself time to grieve and recover. Eventually the good memories of the time you spent with Rambo will be the first things that come to your mind when you think of him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.