Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my grandparents gave me a dog, and I love it a ton. The problem is, they said they found the dog. And they kept it over a year, and yes, they did post up signs on lightpoles and I know because I helped them. And we still haven't found their owner, so my grandparents decided to keep the dog. And now it's been a year and they gave the dog to me. And I noticed the dog isn't spayed because I don't see a scar down her belly. And, I don't think she ever got shots before. So I want to take her to the vet, but I'm afraid the vet might say, this dog doesn't belong to you, and might take her away or something like that. So I'm worried about getting in trouble myself, but I'm also concerned about Angel (my dog's) health. What do I do? Can you guys please help me.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If your grandparents attempted to find the dog's owner, and had no luck, and had her for a year, I don't think there's a problem. Take her to the vet's. Get the needed vet work done, including spay. However, some spay scars are so small these days they can fool you. I had one rescue dog that neither the vet nor I could find a scar, but when the vet opened her, she was already spayed. The vet is not going to take her away from you. Sadly. many stray dogs don't have anyone looking for them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with Pawz, take her to the vet and have everything done. I know out here where i live if you have a dog after so long, it becomes legally yours mostly if you have tried to find the owners. I am sure that they would have seen the posters and called if they wanted the dog back ( if they were locals) the vet wont take it away. The only reason i could even remotley see them doing that is because there is a lost poster of the dog in their office.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your grandparents attempted to find the dog's owner, and had no luck, and had her for a year, I don't think there's a problem. Take her to the vet's. Get the needed vet work done, including spay. However, some spay scars are so small these days they can fool you. I had one rescue dog that neither the vet nor I could find a scar, but when the vet opened her, she was already spayed. The vet is not going to take her away from you. Sadly. many stray dogs don't have anyone looking for them.
Oh ok, thanks guys, both of your replies were helpful. Do you guys know what vets will usually ask when I go to them? I wanna be prepared to answer their questions and what-not.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
In TX, these things aren't a problem. If you want, you can say that your G-parents gave you a stray that they adopted a year ago, but you (or they ) don't know the history, so you want to be on the safe side as far as Worms, Parvo, Distemper, Rabies, and spaying, etc.

The Vet will also ask if you know the age and the breed, but for the most part, Vets are happy to see a loved, well-cared for dog. You might ask the Vet for suggestions about training. Houston has lots of good dog parks, dog clubs, and training activities. I attended a 3 day seminar with Ian Dunbar a year ago at the Holiday Inn (?) near the airport, meeting lots of dog people. Sorry, but I have no contacts in Houston, though. Google knows all.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If your grandparents have had her for a year, if she's not spayed she should have gone into heat at least once. If she didn't, she might already be spayed. It's really hard to tell, even vets can't tell most of the time. My vet just says to wait to see if she goes into heat :p.

I don't think vets can take your dog no matter what. They aren't animal control, and, while there isn't the same level of patient confidentiality that humans have, I'm pretty sure they can't turn you in to animal control unless you're mistreating the dog. Sad fact is, though, that many stray dogs were dumped by people who don't want them anymore, so nobody's looking for them.

The vet will ask what you know about the dog. Honestly, if she's been in the family for an entire year you should know a fair amount about her by now. Except, of course, you don't know her previous medical history, so just tell the vet that. It's the vet's job to let you know what should be done to get her health care up to date.

·
Registered
496 Posts
yeah they will want to know her medical history which if she hasnt had any shots/surgerys and such since your family has had her just tell them. You will be fine and im sure they arent event going to ask unless if anything like my vet they just ask where did you get the dog ie stray,shelter, from a family member who got them from a shelter or as a stray and thats that, they just ask to know so they can kinda look for things those dogs are most likely to have, ie worms, spay/neuter, etc.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Also - as soon as you can, license your dog with your local government (if they do licensing), and get a microchip implanted with your information. Since the dog wasn't tagged or chipped when found, those two things alone will establish legal ownership. Licensing is often tied to vaccinations and spay/neuter, so you might be able to do all of these things at once at the vet's office.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also - as soon as you can, license your dog with your local government (if they do licensing), and get a microchip implanted with your information. Since the dog wasn't tagged or chipped when found, those two things alone will establish legal ownership. Licensing is often tied to vaccinations and spay/neuter, so you might be able to do all of these things at once at the vet's office.
is a good idea, you should look into doing it as well. and is usually cheaper to have then license'd once they have been fixed.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yeah, really good idea!

Honestly, I think even if you told them exactly how you came to have the dog, the vet wouldn't be surprised at all and wouldn't have any problem with it. People adopt strays all the time and it's been quite a while since she was picked up as a stray. Like he mentioned above, definitely get the dog licensed and microchipped and that will pretty much eliminate any further chance of your ownership of the dog ever being contested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh my goodness, thank you ALL for your help! Now, I'm not worried at all. But really, thank you guys, you rock!:rockon:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I think she did go in heat. Because during one week she was bleeding from her "area". So I searched on internet and people said she's in "heat". And it only lasted for 4 days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also do you guys know what breed she is? I just uploaded her as my profile picture, I took this photo a week ago.

This is the 3 album pictures of her. The picture of her wearing a red, cut-off leash, was the day we found her and posted around our grandparent's neighborhood. That picture has a view of her tail too. I looked all over the internet, and I can't figure out what breed she is.
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/wtran98/

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
And I think she did go in heat. Because during one week she was bleeding from her "area". So I searched on internet and people said she's in "heat". And it only lasted for 4 days.
The bleeding only lasts about 4 days. But she's fertile for a lot longer than that. So if it happens again before you get a chance to have her spayed, be sure to keep her away from males for a month from when you see bleeding.

She looks like she has a lot of cattle dog/stumpy in her. But she seems small, so probably something else mixed in, too. She's a cutie!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Everyone else is right, I wouldn't worry about it. I found a stray dog in my neighborhood, and we took her into the vet within a week of having her to scan for a chip and make sure she was healthy. They asked us where we got her/how long we had her, I explained that I found her, they basically just said "good for you for taking her in" and let it go at that. Honestly, I didn't make a huge effort to find her owner....she looked like she'd been dumped; half starved, covered in fleas and pretty scarred up, no collar or anything, etc. Our neighborhood has been used as dumping grounds before, so. I think someone got tired of her puppy antics...even at 2 yo she's a handful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone else is right, I wouldn't worry about it. I found a stray dog in my neighborhood, and we took her into the vet within a week of having her to scan for a chip and make sure she was healthy. They asked us where we got her/how long we had her, I explained that I found her, they basically just said "good for you for taking her in" and let it go at that. Honestly, I didn't make a huge effort to find her owner....she looked like she'd been dumped; half starved, covered in fleas and pretty scarred up, no collar or anything, etc. Our neighborhood has been used as dumping grounds before, so. I think someone got tired of her puppy antics...even at 2 yo she's a handful!
Thank you, i feel more confident about taking her to the vet for the first time. I shall do so on the weekend. Anyway, does anyone still have any clue about what breed she is? I know she's mixed, but I can't figure it out between what breeds. I never seen this type of dog before. And yea, I know she's cute :rockon:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just as an extra thingy: Keep all food and medical receipts for a while, in texas that helps to determine that you are the legal owner of the dog. Especially if you can prove that the state of the dog was less then ok when you found her. We had a BIG issue with someone trying to reclaim a dog they dumped around here (after it was healthy again) so we always keep photos on record about how they looked when we got them. Just thoughts for the future.\

Maybe red heeler x lab?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I see red heeler (australian cattle dog) and maybe some kind of terrier? She looks small, do you know how much she weighs? I say this way too often these days, but she reminds me of Sydney in a few ways, having what appears to be ACD coloring and coat type (moreso in your dog than mine) and the face of a smaller dog with buggier eyes, ;p She looks pretty lanky like my girl too.

Anyway, my vote is absolutely a red heeler parent and then any number of other small dogs are possible--depending on her weight I wouldn't even be too shocked if she had some chihuaha in her. :) Corgi is another strong possibility.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts