Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a lady I work with is talking about getting a dog for her family. She said she saw a litter of puggles in the paper for $150.00.

I listened as she said how her girls looked up the “breed” online and how cute she thought they were, and she asked what I though, because I am a “crazy dog lady” at work.

At that time, one of the girls beside me piped up and said, “I think they’re really loyal because they have beagle in them!!!”

I thought, “WTF?” Not that beagles aren’t loyal to people, but they’re definitely more loyal to their noses!!! I kept quiet.

When the hubbub died down, I said, “You know, there are so many cute mixed puppies in the shelter. I guarantee that you’ll be able to find puppies that are mixed and just as cute in a shelter as you will in the paper. After all, this is puppy and kitten season!!”

She looked at me and smiled and said, “You’re right!!! I bet they’d be cheaper then those puggles, too!!!!”

So…I guess I kind of did a good thing. It’s not like I’m going to change her mind about things, but at least I kind of guided her in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
LoL shelter puppies are more expensive due to the medical bills... but it's something she'd of had to pay for eventaully anyways right?

Good job.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
LoL shelter puppies are more expensive due to the medical bills... but it's something she'd of had to pay for eventaully anyways right?
I'd venture to say ill-bred "Puggles" would be pretty darn expensive too. I'm thinking ear infections, breathing problems, allergies..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'd venture to say ill-bred "Puggles" would be pretty darn expensive too. I'm thinking ear infections, breathing problems, allergies..
Valid point.

I love mutts, such loyal dogs, and I could see why some dogs are cross bread, but what purpose does a beagle pug serve? lol

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
They say it gets rid of the breathing problems of the Pug and the boisterousness of the beagle. Too bad genetics isn't that predictable, because I've seen a ton of brachycephalic Puggles around and I've heard some noisemakers too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes, I was wondering how shelter puppies would have more medical expenses. All the shelters here keep the dogs up to date on all shots and have the dogs spayed/neutered at the appropriate ages. There are some rescues in our area that bring dogs up from closed down puppy mills, but those are the exception not the norm.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would venture to guess that an ill-bred "Puggle" puppy (particulary one selling for that little) from a BYB that may not have a clue would have a lot more vet bills than any puppy from a well-run shelter.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
... what? that doesn't make any sense.
If you get a dog from a shelter they usually require a donation to cover the shots and spay/neut. and micro chip if they have one.

It averages about 300 dollars a dog.

So 150 dollars for a puggle is cheaper than 300 dollars to adopt a dog.

But eventually you'll want to neut. get shots. and possibly micro chip the puggle which will eventually make them cost more.

just right off the bat adopting a puppy costs more

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure that there is any guarentee about any dog's health in regards to either good health or bad health unless you know both parents of the dog.
And even then, genetics are a crap shoot at best.

However, I do agree that it doesn't make sense to have a brachycephalic dog that likes to chase rabbits. Then again, boxers are very active brachycephalic dogs, so somehow I guess that can work out.

The lady that I work with lives on a farm, and has a huge house and they keep sheep, cows, pigs and ducks, as well as farm soybeans. Her kids are almost grown, so I think she was also looking for a companion for herself and her husband after the kids are gone.

She doesn't really care about the breeds, as long as it is relatively small, and has an easy to maintain coat.

She says they're going to the shelter this weekend. She doesn't want a puppy, so I think she's getting a young dog.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
She doesn't really care about the breeds, as long as it is relatively small, and has an easy to maintain coat.

She says they're going to the shelter this weekend. She doesn't want a puppy, so I think she's getting a young dog.
Tell her to search petfinder till she finds something she just falls inlove with. Her and the future best friend will be better for it. :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A $300 adoption fee? Wow! In my area the average adoption fee is around $65-75.
I guess it really depends on what's been done.

If they have all their puppy shots, spay/neut, micro chip, de-worm/prevention, any other medical bills they usually want to try and cover the medical on the donation.

From what I've seen on pet finder in this area, pupps are 150-300. Old dogs are about 80-100.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11130537
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12634193

just a couple off the start of the local search that list and adoption fee.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you get a dog from a shelter they usually require a donation to cover the shots and spay/neut. and micro chip if they have one.

But eventually you'll want to neut. get shots. and possibly micro chip the puggle which will eventually make them cost more.

Not all shelters require a donation. IDK about private rescues, though, because I've only ever gotten dogs from our county shelter, where dogs cost $35. They require ALL adopters to get their pets spuetered, though, or they go to court, because its a violation of the contract if they don't.

I've adopted both of my dogs, and they've only cost me... about $200 each (maybe), which is based on shots and spaying, along with thier adoption fee. Actually, Susie is the cheaper dog so far, because she was given to me by the AC officer, because I reported a dead puppy that was (left by the temporary caretaker) outside for 3 days while the ACO was away.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Weird! Basil cost $75 to adopt, and was neutered, had all his shots, was microchipped, had all his heartworm tests and such done, and came with a full years supply of heartworm preventative for free. Not only that, but he was fostered, so he took up space in someone's home, required them to buy food for him, etc.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I imagine it's just the difference between county ran shelters with a profesional staff that can do most of the work themselves, and a privatly owned shelter who has to pay to get all the medical work done.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
In my area.....adoption fees run anywhere from 300$ at private rescues (usually includes vax, sputer, chip, heart worm) to 35$ from the county shelter (you have to do the sputer, vax on your own and provide prof to the shelter)......and plenty in between :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts