Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im new to the forum :) let me relay my tales of woe and hopefully a kind soul can help me to find a solution to this problem!

I have a Golden Retriever, male, almost 3 years and not neutered (my father forbid it, siiiigh) He's kind, gentle, and very playful. When he was a pup he got attacked by neighbours unbound dog numerous time (or at least circled, im now an expert at seperating dog fights) And while now he learns to ignore dogs, he still occasionally lunges when another dog is in sight. (unless its a small breed) Oh btw im from Malaysia where dog respondsibility awareness still have alot of room to be improved and lots of owners just let the dogs walk themselves, you can see how troubling this can be.

i've only recently finished my 10 weeks training with Canine Sportsclub in Malaysia and i must say the training really paid off! yes its a little late to train him but better late then never. He passed his obedience with flying colours.

This evening as i was walking him, a neighbour's mongrel came out to play with him. This puppy is smart and is a very submissive one because as soon as my dog growl and lunges forward the mongrel pup rolls on its back and that stops my dog's agressiveness immediately. After making sure my dog is not going to attack the pup i let my GR off leash and they both run around the park chasing eachother, playing, roughing up but not fighting. They seem genuinely happy with one another and this goes on for about 15 minutes before i notice its darked and we have to go home.

i command my Maxi to sit and stay while i put him back on leash to go home which he immediately obeys. The pup approached us trying to rub against Maxi. My dog immediately SNAPS at it aggresively, but i already sense him tensing up and yanked it away from the pup before he could strike a bite.

So now the mystery has been solved at why my dog is so aggresive. He is very insecure when he is on leash because he couldnt trust me to protect him. I really have no idea how to assest myself anymore as he obeys my commands but couldnt trust me to protect him from other dogs? So how do i gain my dog's trust while around other dogs? how do i fully become an alpha when i've walked him EVERYDAY after work unless its raining? He shows agreesiveness during training as well when other dogs came to greet him. The hair on his back stands and his ears pulled back, his neck and tail raised high. I reprimand him by saying no or yanking his leash to snap him out, but i really need to know how to permanently relax him around other dogs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum! I'm no expert and am unsure how to work on the problems you are having, but I had one thought to share.

When your dog seems alert and defensive with another dog approaching maybe you could try to talk reassuringly to him and tell him that it is okay (if you know the other dog is friendly) instead of reprimanding him and yanking the leash. Since he is already stressed out by approaching dogs, telling him no and yanking the leash will make every encounter negative for him, even if the other dog is friendly. I understand you want to keep him under control so that he doesn't lash out at the other dog, but trying to reassure him it's okay might be worth a try, instead of reacting to his reaction.

Sometimes my dog gets spooked by random strangers walking alone at night and barks and is frightened, but if I say, it's okay, relax, good pup, or something like that he realizes everything is fine.

Congratulations on your success in obedience class and hopefully one of the many people on this forum who really know what they are talking about can help you with your struggles more than me!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I really have no idea how to assest myself anymore as he obeys my commands but couldnt trust me to protect him from other dogs? So how do i gain my dog's trust while around other dogs?
I think you've answered your own question >>> by "protecting him from other dogs".

i command my Maxi to sit and stay while i put him back on leash to go home which he immediately obeys. The pup approached us trying to rub against Maxi. My dog immediately SNAPS at it aggresively
It's not Maxi's job to communicate when the play session is over, it's YOUR job. Seems like you only went 'halfway' by pulling the plug on your own dog's playtime, while the puppy continued to have complete liberties.

* anticipate the puppy's intent to continue playing, and kindly bodyblock him if neccessary, BEFORE he gets near your dog.
* reward your dog for not reacting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the welcome and responds guys! The thing is he never believes it when i say relax, friend, and play nicely. On occasion that he does he is rewarded with a rub on the chest (his fav other then his belly XD) and sometimes treats. So i never understood his agression of dogs even after they've met and play numerous time together, does he have a memory problem? lol anyone has an amnesia dog like mine? XD

Oh petpeeve the thing is if he obeys and comes to me i think i've already done my job to communicate, after all i did wait for him to sit still for about 10 secs before i put the leash on him. He had a long walk previously already and he is losing interest faster then the pup when he stoped chasing it and just scout. but i'll keep in mind with the bodyblock. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts