Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden, Maggie, found a buried pet mouse that we had about 2 or 3 years ago that had a really weird disease or something that spread to the other mice we had at the time. Either yesterday or sometime today, Maggie ate the mouse and has been acting very weird ever since. She has been sort of limping, falling in the snow when I'm walking her, and just acting way out of her norm. What should I do???? Could the disease spread to her???? Help please!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
one word penicillin
Do you really think it's wise to suggest antibiotics when you have absolutely no clue what's wrong with the dog? And the owner would have no idea what dosage to give the dog even if it is an infection. If that's the kind of emergency response you do, I hope a vet finds me first if I need a paramedic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you really think it's wise to suggest antibiotics when you have absolutely no clue what's wrong with the dog? And the owner would have no idea what dosage to give the dog even if it is an infection. If that's the kind of emergency response you do, I hope a vet finds me first if I need a paramedic.
the dosages are on the back of the label, penicillin is used for a wide veriety of things, if the dog does have some sort of infection, or other illness that penicillin can subside, restrain or intervine aguinst, pennicillins side effects are mild enough that there its a good idea to use it when (in this severe of a case) they are waiting for thier dogs appointment date if the dog has a known allergy to pennicillin its not wise to use it, but i figured thats common sense and if the dog has an allergic reaction it can easily be stopped by OTC benedryl,also if you feel like dieing in the back of a vets office on a cold metal table then dont call paramedics in the event of the emergency and I my self am not yet a paramedic, thats a few levels of training higher than me at this point in my eduication, i am a perfessonal rescuer basically an EMT who hasnt finished all the classes but can treat a veriety of illnesses and injuries in an emergency situation, also what level of medical training do you have? because odviously you knew the differance between a professonal rescuer and a paramedic (about 3 years of training) so I know you must be at least as knowlageable as me.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I'm not here to get into a peeing match with anyone. But suggesting self-medication instead of seeing a professional is completely irresponsible. I'm just a lowly vet tech, but I know that much. I also know how to spell big words like Benadryl, education, variety and professional.

What if it's neurological? Or kidney, heart or liver failure? What if the dog got into poison? The dog needs to be seen and evaluated by a medical professional.

This thread was started three days ago, so hopefully the OP would have already sought treatment, but sheesh!

·
Registered
16 Posts
well my mis spelling is so horrable i understand how this has alot to do with my medical training , i wasnt saying dont take the dog to the vet i said put the dog on antibiotics while it is waiting to be seen by a vet because that will help or do nothing wow a vet tech so what were you not good enough to work on people? ok well play time with me is over odviously you dont want to help dogs but tell everyone go to the vet, when its odvious your animal needs a vet ANYONE can say hey that dog needs a vet but putting early preventitives on a problem can help later on in the treatment. thank you for attempting to make me look like an un-eduicated jackass who cant spell but sience when does literacy have anything to do with medicine? (besides labeling)

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Here's your sign

well my mis spelling is so horrable i understand how this has alot to do with my medical training , i wasnt saying dont take the dog to the vet i said put the dog on antibiotics while it is waiting to be seen by a vet because that will help or do nothing wow a vet tech so what were you not good enough to work on people? ok well play time with me is over odviously you dont want to help dogs but tell everyone go to the vet, when its odvious your animal needs a vet ANYONE can say hey that dog needs a vet but putting early preventitives on a problem can help later on in the treatment. thank you for attempting to make me look like an un-eduicated jackass who cant spell but sience when does literacy have anything to do with medicine? (besides labeling)
If stating "one word" is educated, we're in trouble. Please have some common courtesy. To suggest that someone is not good enough to work on people because they've chosen to assist dogs is down right rude. And it will not be tolerated. With these kinds of statements, you don't need Lorina to attempt to make you look like a jackass, you're doing fine on you own. Or I guess anyone can just say "penicillin".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts