Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I don't have a robot, I have a living creature that has her own complex set of rules and feelings. If my boss says jump usually I say how high, but not every day is the best day for that. Why should I expect my dog to be more perfect than me?

Most people think their dog is completely friendly, yet the dog is constantly giving off warning signs that it's not. It's not black and white, the dog isn't either perfectly friendly or an attack dog.
You might misunderstand me. I also have a living creature as a pet, not a robot but I couldn't for even a second imagine my dogs biting me because I pushed their bottoms down to sit. (maybe if they were in a LOT of pain) I do watch for signs of stress or discomfort in my dogs and I wouldn't ask them to do something that would hurt them just because I can. I also would NOT expect my dog to bite me because it simply doesn't feel like sitting and I push down on its butt. If I beat them or hit them I guess I would deserve a bite but not just for putting a little pressure on their butts. Also we are talking about a pretty young dog. Maybe I have had the same breed for far too long but at that age, I wouldn't expect too many grumpy days. Which is why I immediately wondered about health.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You might misunderstand me. I also have a living creature as a pet, not a robot but I couldn't for even a second imagine my dogs biting me because I pushed their bottoms down to sit. (maybe if they were in a LOT of pain) I do watch for signs of stress or discomfort in my dogs and I wouldn't ask them to do something that would hurt them just because I can. I also would NOT expect my dog to bite me because it simply doesn't feel like sitting and I push down on its butt. If I beat them or hit them I guess I would deserve a bite but not just for putting a little pressure on their butts. Also we are talking about a pretty young dog. Maybe I have had the same breed for far too long but at that age, I wouldn't expect too many grumpy days. Which is why I immediately wondered about health.
I have to agree with Inga. A well trained, well socialized dog unless suddenly abused or in pain should never bite its owner. Even on your dog's grumpiest day it should not bite you.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Second, there are better ways to get a sit than to push a dog's butt down. This is the old way of doing it. A better way is to raise the treat over the dogs nose (up high) and then move it back. Most dogs will sit naturally and if they don't, try doing this with a wall behind them.
Thanks for the tip on sit. My only recent experience is with a big dog, who learned sit using the over the nose method very easily. But I was trying to teach my sister's maltese to sit the other day and was not having any luck with such a little dog - I couldn't get the angle right and he just kept backing up. The wall idea should work - thanks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have to agree with Inga. A well trained, well socialized dog unless suddenly abused or in pain should never bite its owner. Even on your dog's grumpiest day it should not bite you.
Add well bred to the list as well. Sometimes you just get rotten genetics and no amount of training or socializing will totally fix the problem. *cough* Chloe! *cough*

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thanks for the tip on sit. My only recent experience is with a big dog, who learned sit using the over the nose method very easily. But I was trying to teach my sister's maltese to sit the other day and was not having any luck with such a little dog - I couldn't get the angle right and he just kept backing up. The wall idea should work - thanks.
That's when capturing works great. I can't lure Sadie to sit for anything, but she learned it through capturing.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts