Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are pictures of me with my first dog Pongo (they were taken between the years 1993 and 1996)

Pongo (my shih tzu) was my dog he was my Christmas gift when I was 7. He was 7 months old when we got him. He had obviously been abused though.

Well we had him until I was 10. We quickly learned that he had a slight agression toward children (especially little boys his previous family had a young boy) and it got worse over the years. Also during that time he began to have siezures. After my sister was born (when I was ten) his agression became worse and so did the siezures (he wasn't ever quite right after the first seizure)

He then turned on my mom. It got to the point that he would either have to be put down or rehomed. My grandfather came one morning after I went to school and took him to the Humane society and told them everything. He later found out that he did find a home with an older couple with no children. And he was getting treatment and training.

The sad thing is I hated my parents for years and they never told me that my grandfather is the one who took him to the shelter. They didn't want me hating him. I didn't understand why they got rid of him. I do now. But I still can't help but feel knowing what I know now that he could have been helped. With a little effort he could have stayed with us. But I understand their fear of him going after my sister. He never once tried anything with me and everyone has said they didn't think he would. I still miss him though. I'm sure he has gone on to the rainbow bridge by now. After all I'm almost 23 now.

On the plus side 5 years later I ended up with a great friend. A poodle named Princess, she was 10 years old when she came to live with me and she changed my life. As her health declined I cared for her until she died with me by her side when she was 14. She taught me how to love and let people in my life. I wouldn't be the woman I am today had I not had that dog. So maybe everything had to happen the way it did so that I would end up with her in my life. I don't know. And now I have 2 of the most wonderful dogs in the world Zack and Sasha

I just had a lot on my mind, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of Princess and I in 2004 (a year before her death) She died exactly 1 day before my graduation

·
Registered
962 Posts
Abby do you ever let your dogs walk! lol You either have it in you or you don't. You are a natural doggy person. But you gota lets those dogs walk sometimes!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Bob what are you talking about, I don't think she posted this story to be attacked!

Abbymarie, I'm very grateful that you happened to end up with that poodle, it's not every day that someone understand how truly wonderful dogs are, and how they can teach us to appreciate life and the people around us.

And I am sure Pongo was thankful for the decision, it's not every day a dog gets a new start on life with people who are capable of helping him through his problems, not everyone is able to deal with an aggressive dog properly..

I still hold a grudge towards my mom, similar to what you held...
When we lived with a woman when we first moved to Alaska, I got a puppy and had her for 5 years. She was MY dog, but she didn't have any bad problems. She was afraid of fireworks, and one cold winter night people were setting off fire works and I didn't want her to be afraid, so I only let her go to the bathroom and let her back inside. The woman we lived with began screaming, saying she needs to go for a walk..so I run upstairs, put on some winter boots, snow pants, and a coat(it was -50 degrees outside) and run back down stairs...to find my mom, the woman, and my dog gone.

They driven her to the pound, and thrown her into one of the drop off cages, and too this day I sometimes see her around town, and it brings me to tears everytime, and sadly, I know I will probably NEVER get over it, and there will always be some part of me that doesn't forgive my mom fully, and HATES the woman for it.

And I havn't found a dog yet that can fill the void she left.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Pepper lighten up, I was only kidding, by holding her dogs it only shows how much she loves them. I am gald you live in Alaska!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
oh okay it sounded like you were serious, and I read her post over and over looking for somewhere she said she doesn't walk her dogs and I could find it!!! rofl

sorry about that :eek:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I walk my dogs. Its just all my good pictures of Pongo I was holding him. And then I don't have too many pictures left of Princess. (I didn't have them backed up and the computer crashed and this is when I lived at home and my dad didn't want to pay the money to get my files pulled off the computer, he said I should of thought of that ahead of time. Well I was 18)

Trust me all those dogs got plenty of walks. I was always outside as a kid. Princess though didn't get too many walks (only in spring and fall) she couldn't handle the humidity and even after dark its hot here)

But I get you were joking.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Its funny because both my dogs do not like it when I try to pick them up, especially the female, they are min-schnauzers, but they stick to me like glue. But for taking pictures just about have to hold them because they will be out of the pic in a blink. I am really sorry about you losing all your pictures, my computor keeps reminding me to create back-up disc, Now I think I will! Good luck now and in the future with dogs all your life!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts