Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have owned many dogs in the past, but never two puppies at the same time(yes I know its double the work and effort, I really thought about this one and ended up getting two). Well, to make a long story short my female pup always plays too aggressive and shes so dominant over my little boy. He's always getting scratched or slightly bit and shes untouched. They are both American Bulldogs, 11 weeks old, and I'm not sure what to do to help this behavior. They stay in this kennel I bought when we are not home, and my wife and I try to spend time alone with each one of them.

Could it be that they get bored and start playing too rough? I was thinking of buying more of those toys where you hide treats in them so I can get them mentally tired and entertained. Any tips will be appreciated guys!.

Also any stickies you guys might recommend would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Many times, this will turn into a nightmare. The pushy pup will stay pushy and the reserved pup will get more and more reserved. Both will become more extreme in their positions. I would keep them seperate except for when they are supervised. When supervised, I would try to keep the dogs more "moderate" and interupt play that gets rough.

This is why owning multiple pups is tough. They need lots of supervision and time apart. It certainly can work, but it requires lots of effort or pups that are very well matched temperamentally speaking.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Interrupt them when they start playing too rough. Distract them with treats, a toy, or even a loud clap of your hands. You don't want to physically push them apart. I agree with keeping them separated when they can't be supervised. Do they have other doggy friends to play with? That might help the more pushy one to realize she's being too pushy if she can have other dogs telling him he's being too rough. She needs to learn from other dogs- with supervision of people of course.

With the more reserved dog maybe work on building confidence. There are many training exercises you can do, such as this
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/546

Does the male puppy yelp or tell her in any way that she's being too rough, or does he just take it? If you stop them from playing, does he go back for more playing or does he run away?

·
Banned
78 Posts
One dog is dominant over the other. Pushy. the other is less high ranking and submissive, only not fast enough, so he gets put in his place.
I have a female and male dog here. Here's what i noticed. the male is a 4 yr old GSD, who can fit the 9 month old rottie's head in his mouth and could easliy tear her apart if he were an aggressive dog.

The bitch, is bossier, more jealous, wants to have HER head on my feet, not his, any toy Bernie has its hers, any food he has, its hers, and doorway to go through, she goes first, any car to get in, she gets in first. If he even THINKS about pushing past her, she tells him off. Sounds really viscious, but its all mouth and no action type of telling off. How most dog squabbles are sorted thankfully.

Whilst my sensibilities are upset by this.
The dogs know their places, and the bitch reinforces it more constantly and consistently than i am qualified or have the time to do. My dog just doesn't have the patience to outsmart the bitch, who appears to have issues regarding getting revenge even lol
The boy is easy go lucky, laid back, doesnt say boo to a goose. The bitch is gobby, pushy, and willing to take the time/effort/energy to beat the pants of the male, every single time, whereas he cant be bothered.
Im not foolish enough to think i can change the pack hierarchy.

I can however, call out, ENOUGH, on your beds. Simply because i dont want the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts