Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are not for everyone. I really want one. I am not just going to impulsively buy one just because though. So basically I would like to hear pros and cons to this breed from actual owners. They are not a very common dog so I am reaching out to you dog people. I have read a bit about them and from what I gather, they need moderate excerise, early training and socialization.

Any funny stories or warnings?

I am married with no kids. My husband worries me because try as he might, he isn't as firm with our current dogs and this worries me with considering getting a head strong breed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
First, why do you want one?

Next:
One of the most important things would be getting them from a REPUTABLE breeder.
They MUST health tests their dogs.
They don't have to show, but it would be good.
They should have a spay and neuter contract.
They should want references from you.
They should want a home visit.
They will not want to meet in a parking lot, or some random place.
They want you to come see their dogs.

Second, is socialization. This, is a must. Introduce them to babies, children, toddlers, teens, men, women, old people, dogs, cats, animals, new places, cars, strollers, etc...

Next is forcing your husband to become a good confident leader, NO hitting, NO stern punishment, none of that. When dealing with big powerful breeds, you must do it right, and not let your emotions get the best of you.

Read stickies in the training section, most importantly, practice N.I.L.I.F like a religion.

The dog has a natural instinct to guard, and it's up to you to make sure he doesn't resource guard you about everything.

It's okay if he barks if someone knocks on the door, but train him when it is enough, and to sit to greet people, no jumping.

During the young dogs life, don't do a lot of exercise. You can severely damage and injure your dog in the long run if you exercise them too much when they are growing.

They need a high quality, large breed puppy dog food, this has a lower amount of protein which will cause them to grow at a nice pace, not too fast, which can cause painful growth spurts, and sometimes heart failure in large/giant breed dogs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This breed is a live stock guardian dog. Which means they are very independent thinkers, do not take very kindly to strangers and have a primitive temperament. They are very large animals.

PB

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want a giant breed that is a guargian type. It would live inside with me and have a good life. I want something intimidating looking. I am learning how to train dogs here and there by reading and watching. PLus I am still teaching my older dogs new things. I just want a huge dog to love and walk with and something that will not only tell me if something is up, but might even help out if there is a problem.

And I am very good with nutrition. My dogs get the best I can afford and sometimes better than I can afford. As much as my heart wants one, my brain will ultimately decide. There are other breeds I am considering and I am not absolute that it has to be purebred either.

·
Registered
673 Posts
sounds like a beautiful breed:) actually socializing etc... sounds alot like BMD. Dakota didn't come from a breeder per say and this is before I heard of puppy mills and other horrible stories, so the down side is I have no info of her ancestors:( The vet just recently told me a story of years ago when he was taking vet school in Europe the BMD's were getting very popular and breeders started inbreeding and they ended up many a dogs who turned aggressive after 1 year of age among numerous other health problems[sorry, never meant to take over your post] but definately look into a good breeder

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Be ready for hair everywhere!!!!! Not to mention keep up on regular grooming.
Find a breeder with healthy dogs as this is a big concern. Take time to make sure they are reputable. They are prone to several health problems.
Do you have a fenced yard and are willing to supervised and leash walk? This is a territorial breed with defense drive. You also have to be calm and patient as they are independent too. Be sure to do lots of socialization. Very big importance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts