Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad and unexpected loss of my Farrier.. It's a back breaking hard job and unfortunately great farriers careers are shorter then the life span of the horses they care for.

My Farrier had to cancel Johnny and Bobs last trim fully expecting to be able to jump back in and recover.. But he had to make the hard decision that he wasn't going to be able to come back that his body was done for his career. I do hope he can find the medical care to help and thankful for over 10 years of exceptional care for Johnny and Bobs feet.

I fear for Johnny and Bob as it will be hard to find a farrier not only for natural hoof care, but also because they drafts. Makes me wonder if the change of poor behavioral expectations for drafts is because of a change in breeding practices in drafts.. The hype for bigger and flashy. instead of calm and docile for the breed.

My guys have always been barefoot and free standing.. Had many farriers say they would not do any horse especially a draft unless they were in a chute cage.

Full day of leaving messages for new Farriers.. and 3 days later only one text message back.. That they are not interested in trimming drafts, and that they called around in two other areas and they are not interested in trimming drafts. I had hoped that having a background reference to call might make a difference but the reference wasn't even tried..

Send good thoughts our way to find a good farrier.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.. just made an appointment for next Tuesday. He does free standing and owns a draft himself, with draft clients doing barefoot.. Sounds positive he'll be a great personality match for my guys.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Good luck. Sounds like a promising lead.

I am kind of surprised that natural hooves are a problem, but I guess that might be climate/location dependent. In Florida, none of the horses I worked with had shoes and here, only some do.

One of my friends actually let her farrier sleep on her sofa for a few weeks when he had a tough financial time so that he didn't have to job search elsewhere!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am not sure what is going on in this state.... People are cheap to service people here.. Really hard to keep great people in this area. This Farrier is an hour away from me.. Most great Farriers are now catering solely to serious competitive horse people and breeders.. They invested in their horses to be invested in the best care for them long term. I feel the same way take good care of your best service people that they worth it..

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: finally got a first good session for the horses today. This new guy and his assistant worked really well with my Big guys.. Both were accepting well enough to them to free stand untied. Unfortunately the length of time to get here Johnny's back hoof has a serious injury (split into the bulb(?) ) area. setting up an appointment to bring a vet out for sedation to work on it and they suggest shoeing him to hold it together while it heals. Johnny has always been barefoot but if his foot needs to be held together to heal am hoping the nails put into his walls short term wont be too bad to harm him and will grow out quickly. They were good people and my guys accepted them and they see what good temperaments they working with

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after much searching and consulting with Johnnys previous farrier (barefoot advocate).. am not going to put shoes on him.. will take extra care and more sessions close together to keep his hoof trimmed tight while it is healing, but he will be fine..

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I'm glad that you found another good farrier, and that you're still able to consult with your old one. Good service is hard to find no matter the need. Good hair cutter, good dog sitter... If someone proves themselves to be professional and talented, I'm happy to wait longer, pay more, and tip well to keep them ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts