Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither of my Dogs ( a chihuahua and a Chi-weenie) will chew on bones or chew toys. My Chihuahua has some pretty bad breath so Im wondering if anybody has any tips that might help get them chewing things?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Get some of the thinner bully sticks, and watch them chew, I let my dogs chew for about 15-20 mins and then offer a treat to get the B.S away it is mostly for the gums and it is wonderfull!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
if their breath is bad- they may have a problem with their teeth. The only one of mine(out of four) that will not chew on toys or bones has horrible teeth (in spite of having them cleaned yearly) I think her mouth is just too tender to make chewing on something enjoyable. You may want to have the vet check for gum or tooth problems

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I think some dogs aren't chewers. Zero actually will chew if I'm not around. I can catch him chewing when he doesn't know I'm there. If I walk in, he stops chewing whatever he was working on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rawhides can look unnatractive to dogs at first, but once they soak them with their slobber and they soften up, they LOVE chewing them...

Try soaking a rawhide strip in a tiny bit of water to soften one side of it and see if it'll take it, it may start to like them more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts