Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site and need some well wishes and encouragement. I came home from work because my 2 year old son is sick; only to find that both of my dachshunds (Oscar and Lacey) have been biten by a snake. My husband come home and rushed them to the vet and they are currently being treated though probably not with antivenom. We are not new to this experience, but my heart is aching just the same. We have been in our home for 3 years and Lacey was biten year one, Oscar was biten year two, now year three and both got it at once. We have tried every snake away on the market but apparently this does no good. The pups are getting the best care possible and my husband found the snake and killed it. It was definately a moccasin, about 20 inches long and fat. We have been lucky in the past and both dogs made a full recovery, but I feel like a bad mom for not being able to protect them again. Any suggestions on other methods to keep these snakes away? Just going to keep thinking positive thoughts because I would be heart broken if we lost either one of them.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Oh geez, I'm sorry. This is a huge worry of mine; I have rattlesnakes here. Lots of them. I've kind of gotten the population under control by getting a few good outdoor cats. They keep the rodent population down, thus cutting down on the snakes food supply. It's made a BIG difference. We used to kill about 10-20 rattlers every summer and we've only had 1 so far this summer (*knock on wood*) and it was far from the house. I've also heard that peacocks are amazing snake hunters. They'll eat even very large snakes. They're too noisy for me though. In addition to the cats, I keep the weeds cleared so I can see the snakes, dont have clutter on the patios for them to hide behind, and I check the concrete in the evening before I let the dogs out because snakes like to lie on it at night. Hope your dogs will be okay.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your poor doggies! I know most copperhead bites are not fatal in adult humans but I have no idea about dogs. I'd recommend not leaving them outside if you can't watch them, because often times dogs will see a snake in the grass and go to sniff at it and then they get bitten. Hopefully yours have learned their lesson and will stay clear of snakes if they come across them! Also if they do get bitten again then you are right there and can get them to the vet asap.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As Labmom has said, the first thing you have to do is getting rid of hiding places & food sources. My mother used her terriers for snake control. We have a lot of copperheads, water moccasins & rarely a rattler. Any kind of mice, lizards, frogs are all snake food. Hiding places are another thing. Dashunds, terriers are alike... they know that critters in there & they got to get 'em OUT! That's what those breeds do & they don't care if it's snake or vermin.

Sending good thoughts your way. One of my girlfriends had a rattler get her dog with 2 bites with venom & her dog made it fine without vet intervention. She was way out in the wilderness when it happened. She called me so I helped her give emergency treatment & by the time she got into civilization... the vet couldn't believe it except she had the dead snake in a bag. My old shepherd got it in the face by a copperhead. I hate snakes. I know, I'm an animal lover... I shouldn't hate but... I hate snakes. I did learn however to be friendly with king & black snakes as those guys go after the posionous guys. We had huge king snake that hung out at our well house & we were content with him being their. We had a deal, I beat on the wall to let him know I was coming & he got out of my way. But this past spring when he came back to reclaim his position he was HUGE... as in easily big enough to hunt our smallest chihuahua. So my husband captured him & hauled him off to a neighbors barn who was happy to have him. Now the old boy's hunting in a barn & not eyeballing our tiny dog. Some people just can't handle the 'good' snakes. I don't very well either if they surprise me.

We also have chickens & I won't hesitate to go get a peacock. I hate the racket however... they're awesome snake hunters. Our dogs are also very hard on snakes so it doesn't take long for them to avoid our place. Gunea fowl are also good snake hunters. They're noisy too but not as big noise as Peacock.

Sorry your pups got bitten but there's also a good chance that since they got bitten... they may see another one & take flight but then again they may declare war. My dogs could see grass wiggling like snake movement & they wanted it d-e-a-d. Big hearts in those dogs

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The advice above is really good, eliminating hiding places and food sources are essential. I'd also like to suggest that the dogs NOT be outside unsupervised and be sure you have an excellent recall trained (with an emergency recall as well). There is also snake avoidance training, you might look to see if there's any classes available in your area.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I wish them the best of luck. I am very fond of Dachshunds and I don't know what I would do if mine was bitten by a snake.

Carla is absolutely right. We used to have a poster (I haven't seen her around) in Texas that did snake avoidance training. It's a very good idea if you live in an area known for snakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts