Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! :wave:

I'm Amy. I'm new here and joined because I am in desperate need of advice for my sweet girl Lilly. A little about her: she's a beautiful two year old shih tzu, that my fiance and I have had since she was ten weeks old. She's active and playful and loves people (although is very timid at first).

Lately (past two months or so), her behavior has become more and more worrisome. It happens only at nighttime while we're all in bed. Any time we get near her, she'll growl and show her teeth. The closer you get, the louder she gets. If you touch her, she'll put her teeth on you, then lick it.. but keeps growling! She never used to be like this! Used to be the biggest cuddle-bug (and she still is during the day!). Then today, she actually bit me! :faint: I'm sorry if this is TMI... but she has a habit of stealing my underwear out of the drawer. Well, I went to take it away from her, and she got very upset. I've never heard her growl and bark like that.

I'm worried about all this because this behavior is very new. I'm worried she's unhappy or that I'm doing something wrong.. Can someone give me any insight? :help: !!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Any sudden change in behavior calls for a vet visit, just to make sure.

But this could be resource guarding. It can develop at any time and could be what was going on with her stealing your frilly things.
The old saying 'let sleeping dogs lie' is definitely in place for a reason.

Read up on Resource Guarding and trading up. It's a natural thing, though not acceptable, and can be worked with and managed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Amy, don't get desperate, cause she may be sensing you mood and energy which can make things worse. Also she a dog and you need to think in dog terms.
1) She may be on heat.
2) You should try to understand what's happening including if other things /behaviors have changed.
3) I would change the sleeping arrangements. She (and you) may benefit from her sleeping not in your bed, but in a crate, (still in the bedroom). The question is how to move her without escalating the situation.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Any sudden change in behavior calls for a vet visit, just to make sure.

But this could be resource guarding. It can develop at any time and could be what was going on with her stealing your frilly things.
The old saying 'let sleeping dogs lie' is definitely in place for a reason.

Read up on Resource Guarding and trading up. It's a natural thing, though not acceptable, and can be worked with and managed
This ^^^

When you see the vet, make sure explain her behavior change. Some of the health issues that can cause behavior problems aren't usually screened for during a routine check up.

Assuming the vet finds nothing wrong, here's a good resource: Resource Guarding: Treatment and Prevention. There is also a short book entitled Mine! that is recommended for addressing resource guarding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts