Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking my dog to prospect park in Brooklyn NY during offleash hours since she was 3 mos old. She is now 18 months. 95 percent of the time everything is okay. But three times now she just ran off and almost went missing good. She also has a habit of just taking off and running into the street if the chance presents itself. What do I do? I have worked so hard to train her and again, most of the times she listens.but she is also very independent and determined when something excited her. And her energy level is extremely high. We have to let her run around 45 minutes a day. She loves to play with other dogs. What advice can you offer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She is a pitbull mix btw. Female. Extremely affectionate loyal and friendly loves other dogs but sometime just doesn't listen. Or rather snapping her out of her laser focused trances can be so hard. She is very determined.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Voice recall? Whistle recall?

Can the dog hear the recall over the other noise?

Do you reward on recall?

Is she microchipped? Wearing collar with tags?

Spayed?

You may need to begin the recall training again. You should consider Boundary training for streets.

Trust the sight of a Pitbull Mix running about off-leash will be concerning to many many people.

FWIW, 95% recall is not good enough.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I would stop letting her off leash. She is young, not even two years old, and sometimes young dogs like that (essentially teenagers/young adults) are a bit hard headed and have ideas of their own.

Try walking your dog on a long line where she still has freedom, but she's not going to run off. Work on recalll, and make sure to reward her grandly with the best, tastiest treats you can think off. Deli meat, cheese, hotdogs, something that she doesn't often get but REALLY loves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Voice recall? Whistle recall? Voice recall.......

Can the dog hear the recall over the other noise? Not sure

Do you reward on recall? Absolutely every time

Is she microchipped? Wearing collar with tags? Yes both

Spayed? Yes

You may need to begin the recall training again. You should consider Boundary training for streets. Will read up on boundary training...

Trust the sight of a Pitbull Mix running about off-leash will be concerning to many many people.

FWIW, 95% recall is not good enough.
Thanks for feedback! Will. Study boundary training

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would stop letting her off leash. She is young, not even two years old, and sometimes young dogs like that (essentially teenagers/young adults) are a bit hard headed and have ideas of their own.

Try walking your dog on a long line where she still has freedom, but she's not going to run off. Work on recalll, and make sure to reward her grandly with the best, tastiest treats you can think off. Deli meat, cheese, hotdogs, something that she doesn't often get but REALLY loves.
This is probably sage advice. Glad to hear this is something she may grow out of.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Start simple. Begin with a doorway. Stop at the doorway, command to sit or down or stay.....whatever your command is, step thru the door. If the dog moves out of position without your release word......begin again. Reward when the dog remains in position..... Then as the proficiency increases, move to the boundaries of the yard.....repeat..... When successful, then you can move to streets.

Yes, this takes time and many attempts. You can do this on walks as you cross intersections or any boundary.

There are many "How To" books and videos for this training. What I have described is a very brief outline, although you should get the idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank
Start simple. Begin with a doorway. Stop at the doorway, command to sit or down or stay.....whatever your command is, step thru the door. If the dog moves out of position without your release word......begin again. Reward when the dog remains in position..... Then as the proficiency increases, move to the boundaries of the yard.....repeat..... When successful, then you can move to streets.

Yes, this takes time and many attempts. You can do this on walks as you cross intersections or any boundary.

There are many "How To" books and videos for this training. What I have described is a very brief outline, although you should get the idea.

Thanks for the excellent feedback! My dog is also in love w keepaway especially when other dogs are around. Any advice there? Thanks nader

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I highly recommend you down load the book "Really Reliable Recall" and teach that.

Meanwhile, remove recall issues by using a long line and a leash all the time. Even in the house. Then make coming to you the very best thing in the world. ALWAYS have food and a toy on you to reward for coming to you. Two toys are better because some dogs will grab a toy and play Keep Away. BUT if you have a second toy and run away from them they will usually chase you to get the toy you have.

Most people have 7 different words for recall, from the dog's name to several other words. Pick one word and use that one word. All other words are superfluous.

Last, do not keep saying your recall word over and over when the dog does not come. Doing that only reinforces that recall word is meaningless. NEVER call the dog to you and lose your temper.. always make coming to you a good thing. Of course, if you remove the option of NOT coming when called you won't have this issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts