Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Siberian Husky's, all have been fixed. Mila is a 5 year old female, Sasha is a 13 month old female, and Kodi is a 10 month old male. Kodi greatly respects Mila and is submissive to her. (Sasha and Mila get along fine) My concern is when Sasha and Kodi play. The vast majority of the time they play fine just as any other dogs would but at times they both get on their hind legs, standing just about erect, and lean against each other snarling and making all kind of noises. (showing their teeth) When me or my wife yell at them they stop and look at us like, "what?". They will then go back at it or play normally. They have never biten each other while playing like this though one time a few months back Sasha had caught a squirrel and Kodi got too close and got bit near his eye. Just the other day Sasha got another squirrel and I noticed that Kodi kept his distance. (we put Kodi and Mila in the house) Also, the family room belongs to them and Sasha will lay on the couch on her back with Kodi over top her and the two of them will go at it just like they do standing against each other.

I want to emphasize that they do not always do this. Plenty of times it's just one of them chasing the other one around the back yard or they wrestle each other. I had heard that males will be submissive to females but this is definitely not the case between Kodi and Sasha. Is this normal play? My last pair of Husky's never played like this.

Kodi is light tan and Sasha black and white.

All three of them.

When Kodi was a pup.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sounds like normal play to me. Play often involves practicing all the life skills...dominance/submission, take downs, 'kills', sex. All normal. One gauge of really good play is role reversals...on top then, on bottom; chaser then, chasee. The other gauge of good play is being able to read and respect another dogs wishes to not play or to end the play session....no bully behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts