Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have search for the names i may like to name my golden retriever, and i'v shoose to call her benie. But the problem is that she dont respond to her name even when i am calling her to eat. How do i let her know that her name is benie?

·
Banned
78 Posts
By teaching her. Each time you use the name when you call the dog to you. You reinforce the pairing of hearing her name sound, and coming to you. that name sound means something good is going to happen, if you feed her a treat when she gets there. Takes about a week with pups. With a family all doing it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
You have to teach a dog its name. It won't just know because you tell it. Our pup is doing clicker training, so what we do is say his name (once!) and when/if he looks up at us, he gets click->treat. Really all his name means is "Look at me!" so that's what you're teaching.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You have to teach a dog its name. It won't just know because you tell it. Our pup is doing clicker training, so what we do is say his name (once!) and when/if he looks up at us, he gets click->treat. Really all his name means is "Look at me!" so that's what you're teaching.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure dogs don't so much know their names as they know "name" = "awesome fun treat play time, yay!"

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I keep seeing a lot of people (not just on this forum) talk about actually consciously teaching names...
Ya know, I never stopped and thought about teaching names. I just said their names when I greeted them, when we played, when we ate, when they were bad, etc. etc. like they knew it was them, and all my animals from my rats to the cats to the dogs know their names and all their little nicknames.
so, I'm going to differ from everyone else and say that if you just give it some time, she'll associate the name with her. Then again, I'm the type to hold full out conversations with me pets xD
The treating and the clicker training might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
this is my fav. all my students start with this, because most of them have either not been able to associate anything with their name, or have a negative association with it (through yelling at the dog, etc.) it works wonders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts