Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not on purpose... About two hours ago I was playing tug of war with both Merlin and Gemma the Hell Bitch. I had a tug in each hand, one dog on each tug. We were having a good time, then Merlin decide to hit the other tug. All of a sudden, he let loose of the tug in my left hand and grabbed the tug in my right hand. When he let go it kind of threw me off balance. And when he grabbed the other tug it twisted my wrist in a funny way. I felt and heard a pop. Two hours later it still hurts. Pretty much curl your teeth hurts any time I move it. If it doesn't feel better in the am, I will probably go to the walk in and get it xrayed.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Good grief! I hope you did not pull a tendon! ... especially since you felt a "pop!" Those take forever to go away and are quite painful. :(

I usually get accidentally cut on the dogs teeth if I misjudge who is going for what and stick my hand in their mouth! :/

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
When Pierce 1st moved into home he had a jumping zoomie problem that has pretty much mellowed out but this week as I was bending down he decided to pop up and my nose said hello to the top of his head. Wife said as I saw stars he had also hurt himself, I said I really did not care if my nose had hurt his head.

Oh yes he broke skin on nose but actual nose which has been previously broke a number of times remains intact. So all is good.

Hey sh*t sometimes happens.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Ouch! Get that looked at, OP.

Muggsy dislocated my shoulder and knocked me on my butt a few times.

Kabota has so far restrained himself to nipping my fingers while taking treats.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything is fine.... Something must have popped out of place and popped back in. Doesn't even hurt today

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I once broke a finger chasing a dog who was chasing a parrot. Required surgery under X-ray and cost over $10,000 to repair. It was in movable pieces. External screws and all.

Ugly Irony: When I landed and broke it, it dawned on my to call my dog. She recalled immediately.

I can be so, so stupid.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not the first time one of my ACDs has dinged me up. Sometimes being loved by an ACD.

Merlin bloodied my wife's nose when he was about nine months old. I was not home and she was going to walk him out front. She told him to sit and when she bent over to leash him up, he bounced up and whacked her in the nose with his head.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah I've been the victim of a fair number of excited head butts in the last 2 years with Jubel, he's only drawn blood with one of them on my brother though. The one that ended in a bloody nose for my brother was completely his own fault, I'd even warned him less than a minute before that if he didn't stop annoying Jubel he was going to end up hurt and it'd be 100% his own fault. Brother thinks it's funny that Jubel doesn't like it if you put your mouth on his body and hum, the vibrations bother/freak him out. Told him to stop he laughs and does it 'one more time' and ends up with a bloody nose.

Glad to hear your wrist seems to be better Johnny.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One of my BC's actually succeeded in knocking me out stone cold. I was asking her to jump up into the back of the 4x4 wagon and she was being stupid. I bent down to help her when she took off and we collided jaw to dog skull and I went down and out.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In related news Merlin continues his evil ways.

I have him at work today. (he comes with me several days a week) I was supposed to be the only one in today. I drew the short straw.
Well my co worker decided to come in for a while. Merlin knows him well and really likes him. I mentor his son with his ACD Duke. (son is 24)
Well my co worker gets all ramped up playing the excited to see me game. Leaning over talking funny, getting the dog all ramped up....

I said, hey I would not get him so worked up. About the time I said it, Merlin rammed his head into my co workers manly parts. Co worker went to the floor. Merlin climbed on him licking his face.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Chester once broke my eyeglass with his big head. I've tripped over him laying on the floor in the dark and banged up my knees. He also has bad foot placement when climbing up onto the couch next to male visitors...let's just say that Chester doesn't pay attention to if his foot is landing on someone's leg or something much more sensitive to an 80 lbs dog landing on it..

I've got a nice gash across the back of my hand in the healing stages from Hershey thinking he could fit through a gate (on-leash) and yanking my hand into the gate latch.

One of my friends learned the painful way about retractable leashes and has a nice 1/2 inch wide rope burn over the back of both thighs because one of her dogs looped around her and darted the wrong way. I am delivering a 15 ft REGULAR leash to her today.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm glad it resolved itself quickly. Dog-inflicted injuries can be hard to explain. Poca was a terror for her first year with us. We tried all sorts of techniques to get her to stop using us a chew toys - she was the mouthiest dog I've ever seen. We finally learned how to redirect it. She'll still take pieces of us in her mouth, gently, to get us to play. It was hard explaining to people at work that all the bruises and cuts and scratches on my arms were from a puppy and not something more sinister!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I'm glad it resolved itself quickly. Dog-inflicted injuries can be hard to explain. Poca was a terror for her first year with us. We tried all sorts of techniques to get her to stop using us a chew toys - she was the mouthiest dog I've ever seen. We finally learned how to redirect it. She'll still take pieces of us in her mouth, gently, to get us to play. It was hard explaining to people at work that all the bruises and cuts and scratches on my arms were from a puppy and not something more sinister!
haha I'm going through this with my foster right now. He's coming out of his shell and wanting to play but his go to is mouthing. I'm treating it like bite inhibition training mostly with some redirection, it's slow going so far. My arms are covered in little bruises and scratches right now because I bruise somewhat easily.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts