Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have two labs, brothers from the same litter, and seven months old. They have always played rough outside, tackling each other, wrestling, biting each other, etc. They don't growl when they play or bite hard enough to produce a yelp, and are fun to watch. They're like two bear cubs going at it. Yet lately, inside the house, they have begun to fight. My wife tells me that once a day she has to pull them apart because they just start fighting out of nowhere. We have an indoor pen so she puts the dog that she determines is the aggressor in the pen for 30 minutes or so. She says that 80% of the time the same dogs starts it and that it usually begins with the aggressive done eyeing the other. We talked to the breeder and she suggested this class which is $160 per dog and a seven week class. I don't mind paying the money but am hoping I don't have to. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There's not enough information here to draw any conclusions/suggestions so, I'd opt for the classes where they can actually see the interaction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They are approaching their teen ager years were their fights may be more serious for dominance issues. Just a word of caution especially for when they grow older: practice extra care when separating two dogs fighting, there are risks of redirected aggression, where the dog may bite the owner separating the even if not intentional. The best way to separate fighting dogs is by squirting them with a spray bottle or making a loud noise. I think the class is worth the money especially because of their age.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Adolescense can be rather trying, particularly so with two littermates. I'm always surprised when a breeder allows two puppies from the same litter to go to the same home.

Definitely do the class.

With two or more dogs, it's really important to have some structure in their daily routine, to keep the dogs separated for periods of time, and, to provide one-on-one time with each dog, to keep the bond with you stronger than with the other dog(s), so necessary when training ('specially those teenagers, who "forget" what they've already learned, and develop selective hearing!).

Have you done any obedience work with these two?
Do you provide brief, daily training sessions?
How much exercise do they get daily?
Do they get daily walks?
Do you provide them with games/play for mental stimulation?
Do they display demanding behavior? (Pushing against your hand, etc., for attention)?
Are they always outside together, or do you sometimes let them out one at a time?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts