Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to lose my mind! I have three dogs and they have gotten completely out of control! I have two chihuahuas-one I bought when he was a puppy from a breeder, and the other was recently given to my by a friend who had to keep her in the kennel all day due to work/school. The other is a german shepherd/greyhound mix that we adopted at a local animal shelter.

First off, I LOVE my dogs. They are a part of our family, and I don't want to get rid of them. :D

NOW... Here are the problems.

The two chihuahuas are out of control on using the bathroom in the house. It is outrageous and frankly, I'm tired of my place smelling like dog pee ALL THE TIME. I don't catch them in the act, and take them out regularly and they go then as well. I don't know what to do!! I don't want to have to keep them in a kennel all the time because that's not fair. They aren't puppies anymore either! Bandit (male) is 4 and Fiona (female) is 2.

Fiona chews up everything she gets her little paws on. She chews up pens, clothing, shoes, paper, etc. Literally anything she can get, she will chew up.

Meg, our big dog, was very skiddish at first, but came out of her shell. She was wonderful.... at first. She chews up stuff when we are away, so we would kennel her when we leave. Only she has figured out how to get out of the kennel. It's made of metal. She literally bent the door to get out. We have placed HEAVY objects in front of the door to "keep her in". That didn't work. I don't know how she does it, but she escapes. She has also started to used the bathroom in the house.

Bandit also is very mean to our baby. Our son will be 2 in a few months, and he is just flat out mean to him. Granted, my son isn't that nice either, but we are teaching him to be nice, and pet him easy, and he understands. But, now, Bandit isn't nice at all back. He will literally run up to my son if he just walks in the room and jumps on him and snaps at him. He has actually bit him but not hard at all. It probably scared my baby more than it hurt. But this is not behavior I will tolerate anymore.

I love my dogs. But they are out of control. PLEASE HELP ME!!! I don't want to give my doggies away. I love them, but they need help. I just don't know what to do or where to start... :(

And how on earth do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet!!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I'm sure more people will chime in soon, but try Nature's Miracle for the pee. Dogs like to mark where other dogs have marked in the past, so it's not that surprising that a dog that was previously housetrained is no longer housetrained if the whole place is covered in pee.

It sounds like you need to go back to square one on housebreaking. There's a sticky at the top of the forum on that. Crate the dogs if you can't watch them. Treat and praise heavily for going outside. And don't expect much in the way of results until the carpet no longer smells of dog pee.

As far as chewing, be prepared to redirect the dog to a more appropriate chewy item when you see her going for something. Again, crate if you can't supervise.

And one more vote for the crate: your son cannot be left alone with a dog that dislikes him. This is just asking for an accident to happen. Crate when you can't supervise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the chewer, we buy her toys constantly, but she chews them literally into tiny pieces where we have to throw them away!!! Even things I thought she couldn't chew up turned into shreds!

They get tons of exercise in the afternoons. During the day we are both at work. After work, my husband is usually home before me and will take them out. When I get home, he takes them for a walk in the park across the street from where we live, and they play for a while depending on the weather. (rainy, extremely cold, etc.) Should we do something different?

Will Petco or PetSmart have the stuff for the smell? Or WalMart or Target? I have tried to steam clean, but it didn't seem to work. It just lingered back slowly after a few days. And since some of the accidents weren't noticed until later, they weren't able to be cleaned as well as fresh accidents. If we hired a professional steam cleaning service, do you think that would do the trick?

Bandit probably doesn't like my baby because when he was younger, he didn't understand how to be gentle with the dogs. Now that he does understand, Bandit doesn't want any part of him. I'm not saying I want him to be able to pet him and play with him, but I want him to be able to be beside him and not have to worry about Bandit snapping at him. My son will see Bandit sitting beside myself or my husband and just cry because he wants to sit by us, but he won't budge because Bandit is there and I assume he is scared of him. Is there anything we can do to make this better?

I want my babies to get along! And act right!!! :)

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I asked about exercise because both the destructive behavior and the potty trouble could easily be caused, at least in part, by boredom. "A ton of exercise" doesn't actually answer my question, though. Do the dogs get jogged for an hour every morning and night or does your hubby sit on a park bench and watch then frolic for a bit in the afternoon? Something inbetween?

What does your training routine look like?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ditto the dogs needing about 45 min-hr structured exercise (brisk walk/jog)in am AND pm.

Keep dogs contained if you can't watch them. A room with tile works great (kitchen/bathroom/laundry rm).

You can buy Natures Miracle at Petsmart or get Kids n Pets at the grocery store (Walmart).

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
The two chihuahuas are out of control on using the bathroom in the house. It is outrageous and frankly, I'm tired of my place smelling like dog pee ALL THE TIME. I don't catch them in the act, and take them out regularly and they go then as well. I don't know what to do!! I don't want to have to keep them in a kennel all the time because that's not fair. They aren't puppies anymore either! Bandit (male) is 4 and Fiona (female) is 2.
Enzyme based cleaners are available at most, if not all, pet supply stores.
If you want to get these two housetrained (it will be work because they are older, be prepared) you HAVE to keep them confined, whether in an xpen or a crate. You don't want to unfairly crate them but then you are frustrated because they have accidents, something here has to give...it is just as unfair for you to be stressed about the pee, both to you and to the dogs. Going back to the basics as if they were puppies is highly recommended. Reward for outside pees (on leash) and manage the inside so they don't get the opportunity. Period.

Fiona chews up everything she gets her little paws on. She chews up pens, clothing, shoes, paper, etc. Literally anything she can get, she will chew up

Again. Supervision and puppy proofing and crating when you can't be watching. Provide proper chews for her to go to town on. Maybe real bones (raw or "treated" from the pet store) and "tough" toys. No soft cutesy toys. Dogs NEED to chew.

Meg, our big dog, was very skiddish at first, but came out of her shell. She was wonderful.... at first. She chews up stuff when we are away, so we would kennel her when we leave. Only she has figured out how to get out of the kennel. It's made of metal. She literally bent the door to get out. We have placed HEAVY objects in front of the door to "keep her in". That didn't work. I don't know how she does it, but she escapes. She has also started to used the bathroom in the house.
How long have you had her? This honestly sounds like SA to me. You may want to speak to a behaviourist/trainer about this AND to your vet about a proper diagnosis of SA. There are some very good threads about SA here on DF as well. I suggest you have a look at them. Also, using the crate only when you leave makes the crate a "bad place" as people leaving is upsetting. This is why using crates occasionally just for naps, sleeping or "treats" is highly recommended. If a dog only sees a crate at the vet, groomers and when he is being "abandoned" it's no wonder they get stressed about it.

Bandit also is very mean to our baby. Our son will be 2 in a few months, and he is just flat out mean to him. Granted, my son isn't that nice either, but we are teaching him to be nice, and pet him easy, and he understands. But, now, Bandit isn't nice at all back. He will literally run up to my son if he just walks in the room and jumps on him and snaps at him. He has actually bit him but not hard at all. It probably scared my baby more than it hurt. But this is not behavior I will tolerate anymore.
It's great you are working on teaching your son to be NICE to the dogs. But it may be that he was already so inadvertently frightening/hurtful to Bandit that he feels he must attack him. This is a SERIOUS issue, Small dogs can still do a lot of damage to a toddler. These two should be separated for now. Period. Get a GOOD POSITIVE trainer who deals with fear issues in to help you with this.

All of these issues are stressful. Stressful for you, stressful for the dogs and just plain stressful to the household/family in general. I get that and I sympathize. Three dogs and a toddler is a LOT of work. But if you want to get control you need to TAKE control. Management (crating, leashes, schedules) , proper exercise (both mental and physical) of the dogs and proper supervision will go a long towards dealing with these issues.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If all of this advice, which is really good, seems like way too much, please consider re-homing the dogs. Your son shouldn't be living in a urine marked home. He also shouldn't have to be afraid of a dog that shares his home. This isn't fair.

I love dogs, but they don't come before children. If you don't have the time or energy or determination to fix this problem, find good homes for your pets.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Bandit probably doesn't like my baby because when he was younger, he didn't understand how to be gentle with the dogs. Now that he does understand, Bandit doesn't want any part of him. I'm not saying I want him to be able to pet him and play with him, but I want him to be able to be beside him and not have to worry about Bandit snapping at him. My son will see Bandit sitting beside myself or my husband and just cry because he wants to sit by us, but he won't budge because Bandit is there and I assume he is scared of him. Is there anything we can do to make this better?
Move the dog. Your son shouldn't have to sit there and cry because he wants to sit beside mom or dad, and the dog will bite him if he does.
Along with everything else that was suggested, I would put ALL 3 dogs on strict NILIF
www.k9deb.com/nilif

·
Registered
53 Posts
To be honest, I would be more worried about the relationship between the dogs and your son than the peeing in your home.
If you are determined to keep your dogs, I would advise more supervision to prevent the chewing and you need to go back to basics for the potty training which will be difficult if you are not there during the day.
Maybe it would be kinder to the dogs and more importantly your son to rehome 1 or more of the dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts