Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a Black Lab/Boxer named (Elwood) for about 2 and a half years along with a breed which we've never known (Kirby) for 14 years. Kirby died a couple months ago and my dad saw fit to get a puppy (Elvis). He came from the humane society and i don't know where he actually came from or what he is long white hair with large black spots 2 over his eyes, he's about a year old and he's happy all the time always waging and licking. Elwood used to be that way but he's tame now. Last week i came into the room to see Elvis latched on to Elwood's leg. They're both fine with minor flesh wounds but i need to know how to prevent this. My dad tried to get both dogs to play tug-o-war together and apparently that's what started it. The vet told us it's an alpha male thing that we need to train Elvis that Elwood is the leader. I don't know how to do that or even how i should start that's why i'm here, can anyone help? Also Elwood is not neutered and Elvis is if that makes a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Well, for starters, these dogs shouldn't be left alone together. When no one is home, they should be kept either in crates or in separate rooms.

Otherwise, just monitor them. Did this only happen once or have there been many confrontations?

I think what you REALLY need is for your dogs to respect YOU, not to have one dog be below the other. Truthfully -- how much excercise are they getting? Pent up energy can lead to fights as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They spend most of their time with my dad and they go outside quite often. We don't have any crates for them but we can get some. There as been only one confrontation.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Well, you have two large-breed mixes so I really think some sort of exercise other than just going outside (I assume in a yard) would be a great benefit to them. It doesn't have to be walking (although that's probably best). You can teach them to play fetch, see if they have interest in a flirt pole (google it), or something like that. It may definitely help out with issues that you might be having with them. Two big, bored, male dogs.. just sounds like a problem is going to arise at one point or another. And it did! So before it gets worse, give these big guys something to do. :)

BTW it doesn't HAVE to be crates. You can just leave them in separate rooms while no one is home.

Since it has been only one instance just monitor them. Get yourself familiar with their warning signs.. not all dogs are easy to read with growls and barks. If you can pinpoint what causes the attack, what signs they show before they confront each other, you'll save these dogs from getting hurt.

It may be something of a possessive nature.. perhaps they were fighting over the tug toy. Tug can get a dog amped up, so it really isn't all that farfetcjed. How are they around each others' food?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts