Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old small corgi mix, and a 12 month old bluetick mix.

My bluetick (Siren) has always kind of accepted my corgi as the boss. When the Corgi goes to eat, without a look or sound exchanged between them - the bluetick will step away from the bowl and patiently wait. If the corgi wants to get up on the couch to sleep - Siren has always moved over to make room for her. Etc.

Recently, my mothers much older Golden Retriever has ended up at our house. She's been here for about two weeks.
Last night the corgi and the blue tick got into a really bad fight - each drawing blood on one another before I was successfully able to separate them (getting bit in the process, myself). This was the first time I've ever seen my bluetick act aggressive, and since then, they've growled and acted like they were going to fight again after 20 minutes or so every time I've tried to have them together today.

I believe my Bluetick is about to go into her first heat. Unfortunately, we cant get her into our vet to get fixed for another full four weeks because they are booked solid.

Could their aggression be because she's starting her heat? Or possibly the extra tension of my moms dog? What can I do to reduce the stress and not have to worry about them tussling again? Siren is significantly bigger than my corgi, and could seriously harm her.

Of course I love both of my babies, but I will be forced to rehome Siren if she's putting my much smaller, older dog in danger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing to add is that this morning I had them in my basement together without the old Golden around - and they played and wrestled like they've always done.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Crate and rotate? Supervise? Manage them?

Your Bluetick is reaching adulthood. It might just be about that. Could be about the 3rd dog or about going into heat, but not necessarily. Your bluetick may just be coming into her own...

I would keep them apart for a week or two and let them cool off. If possible, walk them together. Tether one to a chair and the other to a couch, or somehome keep them around each other but not in contact for a while to prevent any chance of aggression. They may calm down again.

There's life after a dog fight. And you can keep both dogs if you want to. It's just more work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are they getting enough walking with you every day?

Try feeding them at the same time after a walk, and make sure you are controlling the feeding. Let them calm down before giving them the food, and give it to whoever is calmest first.

Basically you want them to look to you as the leader, instead of having one of them think they are leader.

Another huge thing: what is your mindset when the dogs are together? Are you tense, thinking they may break out into a fight? They may pick up on this and get tense themselves. Next time they are together, try remain very calm. Calm yourself and think of happy things, see if that helps.

One more thing: have they gone to the vet recently?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Is the Corgi also a female? If so, this may be part of the problem. Two females often have problems. I also find it interesting that your two get along w/out the golden around. The addition of the third dog may have upset the power balance in the household, especially with the youngster reaching maturity. Hopefully, spaying the bluetick will help the situation. Until then, I'd keep them separated unless you're directly supervising them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have 2 females that don't get along :( We tried letting our smaller dog go live with my mom, but that did not work out. So we crate and rotate and constantly work on helping them get along. Anytime they are together it is a happy fun time with tons of treats! But the minute one is taken away it goes back to just normal life. They are walked together :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are walked together for the "big walk" we take before dinner, as that's when my husband is home to help walk one of them. The rest of their daily outside time is still together - so they can interact and play, but usually one is on the run and one is on the leash and then I switch them out.

My mom's dog is almost always stressed when she comes to visit, so I think maybe her attitude from kind of being thrown (and I'm sure in her eyes - abandoned) on us definitely raises the level of tension in here.

They are both fully vetted and my Corgi (Sailor) is a fixed female. Of course I plan on doing everything possible to work with them and make them be happy sisters together. I was just exceptionally stressed out about the possibility of the bigger dog seriously hurting the little one, as she drew blood. I've had my baby Corgi since I was 15, and she is the little fuzzy love of my life.

They seem to have cooled down and are playing and acting like normal again this morning and last night. Thank you all for your advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, the issue I've had with feeding them at the same time is that my corgi has always been a take a bite here - come back a couple hours, eat a few more bites - kinda dog. So in the past when I've tried this, she wasn't really getting enough food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts