Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dogs, a 6 year old german shepherd mix and a 2year old... something mix, part doberman maybe. hes about 30-40 lbs. I got both at 8weeks old. They get along ok with each other. My girlfriend has a 7 year old bichon that she rescued back in september, the dog was previously used for breeding. My 2 dogs are male and both were fixed at 6months. Her dog just got spaded a month or so ago (she was told the dog was fixed when she got it, but we found out that wasn't the case when she went into heat).

At first the dogs got ok well enough, my puppy was a bit too high energy for the bichon though and he was very interested in her at first. Now he is used to her and doesn't bother her much. The problem is her dog has become EXTREMELY aggressive toward my dogs, especially if we are at my girlfriends place. My dogs will be laying on the floor napping and her dog will charge across the room and start barking and biting them.. she basically barks non stop while they are around and charges them every couple of minutes. At my place it is a little more tolerable but she does the same thing just not as often. While we are out on walks with them they are completely fine. My dogs have never attacked her dog, my puppy has just tried to play with her but he doesn't even try that anymore. It also seems like her dog is getting worse, more aggressive and territorial.

Whether we are at her place or mine, when there is treats involved its like she doesn't even know they exist.

I need some serious help here or this is going to ruin our relationship. Also if anyone knows any really good trainers in upstate NY that could help in this situation please let me know!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
For a month or two, why not put up a playpen/divider and just let the dogs hang out in each other's presence without interacting? The bichon may be feeling scared/insecure and this would give her time to relax without any pressure or opportunity for a mistake. Playpens aren't very expensive and they are great for camping, puppies, travel... I would just seperate them physically while they can still see each other and give it time. Go for leashed walks together where no one invades each other's space and just relax. This is pretty workable. It doens't matter who is in the pen. Rotate it. Keep it easy.

Moving too quickly with introductions is the best way to screw them up. Let everyone take a breather.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you can get them to an off leash area, running together off leash will show the little one that the bigger dogs are OK. Call them all back to you and reward them all equally and often.

If the little guy walks with the leash stretched tight, this could lead to him thinking he needs to be a bit protective so ensure the lead is always loose.

Back home I agree with the seperation with a kiddy gate. Feed them on either side of the gate but with a bit of seperation - a couple of meters is enough (oops - sorry you have not gone metric yet - 6 ft is enough).

Ensure all three get an equall amount of both of your attention.

If the little guy fires up, try and distract him ( google :Look at That game) and divert his attention to something he enjoys - tug toy, ball, massage - Do not pick him up and do not scold him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts