Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would keep the pup in the crate as much as possible until it LOVES its crate. At least a week. Every hour on the hour, put a collar and leash on the pup and walk it to the area you have designated as the area for elimination. Use your words to tell the pup to do its job. As soon as it pees or poops say "YES!" and offer a really tasty treat. I've heard cat kibble is really good. (I have other treats already). Give the pup a chance to do whatever it hasn't done, but no more than five minutes (start a poop log so you know when to anticipate it). If a poop or pee is expected and it isn't happening, walk back to the house or its crate outside (still on leash) but turn around back to the "spot". Give the pup time to do his job but no more than 5 minutes. Keep going back and forth from the house or crate to its spot until something happens. My pup takes two trips sometimes. Some pups take hours.

Also, leave any absorbent material out of the crate. And make sure the crate is only large enough for the pup to stand up and turn around in. Extra room means it will pee/poop in the back of the crate and sleep in the front.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Specifically for Blackgavotte:

I wish people like you would gives dogs the credit they deserve. My mutt puppy learned sit, shake, say please, "and kennel up" at 12 weeks and he certainly was potty trained by then. I have 2 older dogs who learned the same things when they were that age as well. My gut tells me that you think you should wait until four months because 4 months puts the pup at the human equivelant of a 3 year old which is when we generally potty train. But that makes little since because since they develop that much quicker, there is no need to wait that long. Kudos to the questioneer whose having trouble. Your pup is peeing in his kennel because he is mad at you for leaving him alone. Much like if he werent in a crate, he would chew up your shoes and your furniture while you were gone. Its a phase and it will pass. As he gets older there will be bigger puddles of piddle and eventually it will make him uncomfortable enough to stop....for now its just a small puddle which means its only a small inconvienience to him, one that he will sacrifice to get his point across that hes very mad that you left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are not doing anything wrong. Our first puppy who is not almost one was started on the crate training at 8 weeks and did awesome. He did not have a single accident in the crate and very few in the house. We let him out every 2 hours at night when we first got him then soon after only had to once a night then not at all. We recently got another puppy who was 10 weeks when we got him and now about 13 weeks and we have done the same with him and he pees in his crate. We have tried everything and really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, i'm new to this forum and dog ownership. we have an 8 week french bulldog. he adores his crate but pees in it. i take him out all the time, but if i go away for an hour or two, there are pees stains on the blankets. i'm going to take out the blankets so maybe that'll deter him. other suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a pretty old thread, but I didn't realize it until I had read through most of the posts. So I feel I have to at least post a comment after all of that reading ;)

My 2 cents:
Make sure the size of your crate is not too big for your puppy. If they have room to move around too much, there is always the temptation to pee.

Dont expect too much from a young puppy too fast. Also remember some smaller dogs have smaller bladders than a big dog and may need to go pee more often. Though, come to think of it, I have also seen the exact reverse. So I suppose it depends on the dog.

Take them out often, especially when first starting to train. You need to learn their schedule. Then slowly lengthen the time they are in the crate.

We dont want to "reward" a behavior we dont like. If they have peed in the crate, you need to decide if you dont let them out right away (but dont let them wallow either) or if you want to put them directly outside (this has to be done immediately after the pee). Only you can tell if this is a reward to them or not.

Dont make a big deal of it. Attention is a reward, whether it is negative or positive.

You can try putting them in for short, I mean 20-40 minutes max, time periods and giving them a treat when they have not peed. Then slowly longer periods.

No treat for pee!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello,
We have a 14 month old golden retriever/border collie who sleeps in our room at night, goes to the door during the day since I'm home but as soon as we leave and put him in his crate he pees even its for 10 minutes to walk some kids to the bus. We have even tried letting him stay in the bathroom and he just pees in there also. He goes outside before he goes in his crate, and it doesn't make a difference. Any ideas as to what to do? Thank you!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It sounds like he's peeing because he's anxious about being left alone. You mention you're home during the day. So, perhaps he's not used to being left alone. It might help to try putting him in the crate for several short periods of time, just 2-3 minutes or so, and walking out the door (even when you don't need to go anywhere).

Maybe 3-4 times a day, just put him in the crate, and walk out the door, no fuss. Come back after 2-3 minutes, let him out, no fuss. Do this as often as you can so it becomes normal, and maybe he will learn to tolerate being in the crate when you leave.

Also, do you leave anything in the crate with him, toys? Chews? A frozen, stuffed kong? That may keep his mind off being alone.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You're welcome! Our dogs used to get super anxious when we left for work, but that all stopped when we started giving them kongs stuffed with peanut butter and frozen overnight. They don't care about us at all when they have those!

As for toys, just make sure they are in good shape, inspect them regularly, so you know there are no loose pieces that could be swallowed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello my name is Leslie and I have a puppy that was born on March 4, I just need some tips on potty training him, I am trying the crate but he has resorted to using it in the crate. I have read this thread and I hope I can learn something, I do believe my problem may be that he is in the crate too long. I too work and we take him out before we leave the house (me work and my boys school) sometimes he is in the crate from 7:00 until 2:45 when the boys get home from school.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Hello my name is Leslie and I have a puppy that was born on March 4, I just need some tips on potty training him, I am trying the crate but he has resorted to using it in the crate. I have read this thread and I hope I can learn something, I do believe my problem may be that he is in the crate too long. I too work and we take him out before we leave the house (me work and my boys school) sometimes he is in the crate from 7:00 until 2:45 when the boys get home from school.
I'm far from an expert, but I think that's way too long for the puppy to be in the crate without a potty break. The general rule of thumb is that a dog can last as many hours as they are months old plus one. So, a three-month-old puppy might be able to last for four hours without a break - some won't be able to. Additionally, puppies should go out as soon as they wake up, after eating, and after playing. Is there someone who can take him out while you're at work? If you don't have someone, you might want look into puppy pad training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but I think that's way too long for the puppy to be in the crate without a potty break. The general rule of thumb is that a dog can last as many hours as they are months old plus one. So, a three-month-old puppy might be able to last for four hours without a break - some won't be able to. Additionally, puppies should go out as soon as they wake up, after eating, and after playing. Is there someone who can take him out while you're at work? If you don't have someone, you might want look into puppy pad training.
I agree and I am working on a plan like trying to go home myself for lunch and let him out. Now what if I put him in the bathroom with the pad if I know that I won't be able to get home for lunch... my job is pretty demanding...thx

·
Registered
102 Posts
4 hours for an 11-week old puppy is too long, IMO. I would not expect a puppy of that age to hold it longer than 2 hours. If you are going to be away from longer 2, maybe 3 hours, or can't get up regularly to let your puppy out, I would strongly suggest putting together a gated spaced for him, with pads at one end and his food/water at the other. If you have carpeting over your entire house, even in the bathrooms and kitchen, I would first be rather surprised, and then skeptical. But whatever the case, it is unreasonable to expect a puppy of that age to hold it for 4 hours. They simply do not have the bladder control to accomplish this.

Also, I can add that insisting you're not abusing "my damn puppy" is not likely to convince people. I have often become irritated or frustrated when raising a puppy - they're loud, eliminate at inconvenient places and times, chew things, etc., but I never refer to them in such a derogatory manner. A puppy does these things, so if you're not prepared for some frustration, messes, and loss of sleep, it's highly advisable to buy a plant instead. Leaving him in his waste to teach him a lesson will instead teach him to tolerate it. Since the entire reason crate training works is that dogs instinctively don't want to sleep in their own waste, you really don't want that.

When my house was mostly covered in carpet (I've since put in tile and wood flooring in several rooms), I also had a puppy I brought home. I put together a portable play area with a linking gate, some toys, water, food, pads, and under the entire thing - a tarp I bought for $6 at Walmart. It saved my carpet, and allowed my puppy space to move around and a good place to eliminate when I was gone longer than she could hold it. There is very little transition between going on a pad and going outside. In both instances, you're teaching your puppy to eliminate in a specific, approved place. Once they're older, and have better bladder control, crating for 4 hours at a time will be fine.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah when Josefina was a pup, we adopted her at 3 mos, she could hold it for up to 3 hrs at the MOST. When Izze was a pup (I got her at 6 wks.... Too young I know but I didn't know any better at the time) & of course she couldn't hold it at all but I took her to work with me & at home she had a dog door which my older dog at thr time taught her to use very quickly as soon as she was big enough to open it.

See, pups this young cant always tell you when they have to go bc THEY don't always know when they have to go as their bodies aren't developed yet, your pup has learned to pee in his crate & has desensitized himself to being dirty. PerhAps one poster's suggestion of putting an x pen with thr crate in there with a comfy bed in it & pee pads covering thr entire floor outside the crate to start, as he gets the idea (you will have to monitor this as every pup is different). With consistency, luck, time & most important of all PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE lol, no one said having a puppy was easy, but it is rewarding when you are deligent in thr beginning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
dimples, sounds like your dog does not know that going outside is for using the bathroom. Unless they are trained some do not realize it and while outside are not going to the bathroom but are outside smelling around, etc. then come inside and relieve themselves. You need to start from scratch with his housebreaking, beginning with crate training and putting him on a strict feeding/potty schedule and when you take him outside you use a word to identify going to the bathroom, the same one all the time, after he goes you immediately give him praise and bring him back inside so then he begins to relate outside as the place to go to the bathroom. After he learns outside is for the bathroom, then you can let him stay out to do whatever else he wants to do while in the yard.

i once owned a chihuahua who would consistently go out and literally pretend to go by doing this little half squat, then come in and immediately pee on the floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, a little off topic so sorry but how did you train your pup to use a bell on the door to notify you when to go out? I too have an eleven week old pup peeing in her crate but only at night and it is also a recent thing for her. Actually it's more in the morning and when she whines it's because she has already done it, not before. Anyway, during the day she is rarely in the crate I only work 3 days a week and those days she's with my bf and his dog so it's really only at night but she doesn't really whine to go outside during the day either we have just picked up on when she is holding it and needs to go so we let her out, maybe if I could get her to ring a bell things will be easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BlackGavotte - Waiting to train your pup until it is 4 months old just confuses them! I would never leave paper or puppy pads down for my pup cause it tells him its ok to go in the house. That, to me, is wrong! So I will continue my crate training and suffer through the frustrations cause its only temporary this way. Teaching him that it is ok to go in the house can have permanent effects on the dog and he may never grasp the concept that going outside is where he has to go after he is 4 months old. I'm glad that your technique has worked for you, but for a lot of dogs it doesn't and crating is the best way to housebreak them. I just don't want to risk the headache of having a dog that pees on every piece of paper I happen to leave on the ground years from now.
I've got the same issues, my puppy is 12 weeks old and I have been crating her for 5 weeks now. I work very close by so I gradually started her off, with nights only and had taken up all my rugs, closed all my bedroom, closets and completely puppy proofed my house. I finally got her up to all nights in the crate, bedtime around 11 and waking up around 4am, lately it has been 6am. I use to put her in the crate at 8:15am after feeding her around 6ish and taking her out for a walk, and then again out to pee around 8am. I use to come home around 11am for a half an hour to let her out...no accidents in her kennel, leave her out of her kennel from 11-2 with the puppy proofed house and then kennel from 2:30 to 5. As she is getting older, her teeth are coming in and she is playing a little rougher, so I also can no longer leave her out unattended because I have cats...and I can't trap them in a room all day as they are very hard to catch and get into that one room in the morning. I was awarding her good crating behaviour with making her crate larger...then after a few days she started being more mischievousness around the house while I was home and I noticed she also soiled in her kennel. I made the kennel smaller, then I tried again, going at 2.5 hour intervals....and worked her up to 4 hours. She was doing great until the other day. I honestly think its either stress or spite. Anxiety of being left alone again...she's been really bad lately when I leave, whether someone is home or not, she cries for a while. Or the spite...she is very smart and knows she can get my attention if she does something naughty and I think this is her trick. The question is...how to nip this stress or spite in the butt because we can't simply leave her out to roam...that's a huge mess to clean up when you get home, or worse...injured cats or puppy from unsupervised roughplay. The only other option is puppy day care...but you really shouldn't have to depend on this all the time if they are on the path of obedient behaviour. So were not all alone, but does anyone have any other tips besides dog training and obedience classes...she's not old enough yet because she has to have her 3rd set of puppy shots ...which is in another 4 or 5 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine holds it for that long, she was born June 7th, She cries when she wants to go out and holds it all through the night with no accidents and she has unlimited running water when she isn't in her kennel and about a cup of water while in her kennel because I heard if they don't have water for longer than 2 hours and they are vocal or are chewing on something that can make them thirsty its not healthy for them. Anyways...saying it is abuse and such...is crap, its a puppy, you can't let it roam free and let it do what it wants or you are going to have a very hard to train dog. You certainly don't start off at 4 hours or 3 hours but you start off with half hour in the crate, then out to pee, then work your way up to the longer periods of time. There is a "weekend crate training guide" that is great to getting them up to about 2-3 hours in their crate which is healthy for a 2-3 mth old pup. I think it boils down to boredom, stress and stubbornness/spite...different with every breed of course, I have a GSD so stubborn/spite is my issue right now and trying to challenge me as her Alpha.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.