Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10 month old pitbull and she will not play with tennis balls, rops, or squeeky things.
We bought some "dog wisperer" balls that you spray this vanilla stuff on and she was not trying to hear that. Also we sliced one of the balls and put a dog treat in it and she still didn't want anything to do with it.

I know this is kinda weird that she doesn't want to play with any kind of toys. Does any one have any ideas how to get her to play ball?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I have a Dog we took in and she really dont play with toys they are like her babies and don't like them being messed with. I also have a pomi who loves to play with toys, only ball and small squeeky animals.

O, sorry the only toys she like to play with is a remote control car and a lazer light.

Is there a way to train her to play fetch?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have you noticed your dog playing with other objects in the house? I payed attention to what Banjo was playing with and found toys that seemed similar in chewiness to what she liked.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You might want to look into laser pens, do a search here on the forum and you'll see that they aren't a very popular item. They can make a dog neurotic. I know it's messed with our chihuahua a little bit from when we use to use it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My dog Gizmo I have had since she was born she has never liked toys ever. Very rarely you can get her excited enough and she will chase the ball but once she reaches it she just sniffs it and leaves lol. The only 'toys' she likes are bones to chew on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She doesn't play with anything in the house but she does chew up my sons toys that are in the back yard. We took her to petco today to see if she really liked anything and she just turned her head. She's a really sweet dog(until it comes to food) but i guess she's more of a layed back dog, maybe more of a cuddler?

As far a the lazer light we really don't play with it much since i normally don't have alot of time on my hands to do so. Does the light itself mess upp the dog or something? I haven't heard of it and my mom used to play with her shepard with one all the time and i know he went bezerk over it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Contrary to popular opinion, most dogs do not have strong play drives and have to be taught how to play. Exactly what kind of play will depend and either the dogs Prey drive or the Pack Drive....whichever is higher. For example; dogs that are high in Prey drive like Fetch and chase games, while dogs that are high in Pack drive usually like soft toys, petting and grooming (yes, they view that as fun time).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a bunch of babies. I want more but my husband said 3 dogs is enough. I'm jeleaus!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have a dog that will only play with toys after we've had them a month or so. It's like she's thinking "Hmm this doesn't smell like home, I don't think I should have this." A lot of squeaky toys smell funny to me, so I kinda figured that might be her problem since she loves them after about a month of so.

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
Zoe never plays with toys. She may "tag" once if she's excited but that's about it. Now Liz plays with toys all the time on her own and now she plays with them with Titan. So I guess it's not all that unusual to have a dog who doesn't play with toys :)

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My APBT only likes some toys....much to my displeasure she wont have anything to do w/Frisbee ..and isn't into balls very much ether.....

but she loves wubbas and her flirt pole....and any kind of rope bone

if you girl likes the light and the car, I think she might like to flirt pole...its very visually stimulating :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wait, what? Grooming is a "game" to a dog? Now that's a new one for me.

Wally definitely has more pack than prey drive and he definitely likes to be pet and groomed, so it follows. I just never thought it was considered fun for him.

Wally isn't a toy (no pun intended) dog either. Doesn't like ropes or toy bones (except his nylabone that he'll give a little bit of attention to, but will last just about forever at this rate), or balls either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts