Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 3yo HW positive rescue at the end of February. At the end of March he got his immticide shots, and the vet told us that we couldn't walk him - out to go to the bathroom and back in. I thought this was great, since until then, he would NOT go in our yard, only on walks. Great training opp, right?

Not so much. I am having SO much trouble getting him to go. When we started he held his bowels for 4 days before he went, and has not been going consistently since then, even with treats and praise. So much so that I've started to take him on very short, slow walks once a day so that he'll go (even though it doesn't always happen even then).

We've tried treats, praise, nothing helps him to go consistently in the yard. When I take him out, I tell him to go, walk him around the yard again, and all he does is just stand there.

He is a LOT better with my boyfriend. He will hold all day for me, but when my boyfriend takes him out, he goes much more consistently. Which is odd since he is still quite fearful of my boyfriend but has bonded with me.

I am about to go crazy and am beyond frustrated because I KNOW that he has to go but won't. My theory is that he knows that eventually I'll just walk him and my boyfriend won't. But I don't want him to hold his pee for up to 2 days and his poop for up to 5. Doesn't seem healthy!! That or he just has accidents in his crate!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
When he has accidents in his crate, take his poop out, and put it in the yard. Soak up the pee with paper towels, and take them to the yard, too.

When you take him out to pee/poop, stay for 5-10 minutes at the most, if he doesn't go, take him inside for 5 minutes, but keep your eyes on him so you can catch him and interrupt him if he starts to go inside. After 5 minutes, try again outside. You are basically waiting him out by alternating, 5 minutes outside to try, 5 minutes inside to wait.

Good luck! Have you told the vet about this?

·
Registered
740 Posts
4 days without going?!?!?! OH my!! Maybe he's constipated from that? I would definitely ask the vet to check him out

1 - 3 of 3 Posts