Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried giving my dog five different kinds of dental chews but all she does is sniff them and walk away. I've tried rubbing a slice of ham on it to see if she would like it but she licks it and walks away. I have also tried putting them in her food bowl but she doesent bother with them she hasent even attempted to chew it, all she does is lick it. She is a nine year old bichon not to mention i have tried giving her a bacon scented bone and i even rubbed meat on it but she still doesent chew it she licks it for a few seconds and never goes back to it, she is also scared of squeaky toys she runs away and starts shaking.But she chews her food, and a few dog treats she will eat just not any chews or bones.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Have you tried a raw, meaty bone instead of some prepared treats or whatever? Raw bones clean teeth better than any or the so called dental chews on the market.

If her teeth are full of tarter she probably needs a veterinary teeth cleaning under anesthesia. Teeth that are unhealthy can be sore and a dog with sore teeth will not want to chew anything.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you haven't yet, perhaps try DentaStix. They're certainly not a replacement for brushing, no treat will ever be, (if you don't have one, get a soft toothbrush or a finger brush, and some dog toothpaste, and brush her teeth at least once a week- more, if she never learns to like dental treats. Perhaps also try one of those dental water additives.) but my dog loves them- scratch that, she's OBSESSED. They're a bit softer than regular dental treats- supposedly they use an enzymatic cleaner as opposed to physical friction. I think that's why she prefers them.
For a regular chew, my dog uses the petstages dogwood toy, which comes in an original flavor, as well as a meat flavor. Some dogs never like chews though, so perhaps try other solutions for dental care, and get a puzzle toy or kong to help with occupying her. She may also like an edible rawhide replacement. or Blended rawhide, my dog likes "Super Snaxx Stixx" on Amazon.

Perhaps, to start out, you could break them into smaller pieces- she may just not like how long it takes to chew.

You may have lucked out with a dog that doesn't like squeakers- my dog can get quite annoying with hers lol. They do make dog toys that have crinkle paper inside instead of a squeaker, as well as ones that make no sound- you might try one of those playology (or similar) scented toys to get her interested, or buy a plush toy without a squeaker, or even just a tennis ball. Some dogs would love to just play with an old washcloth or hand towel. What's important is that you never force her to play, and are sure to show her that you are having a good time yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you haven't yet, perhaps try DentaStix. They're certainly not a replacement for brushing, no treat will ever be, (if you don't have one, get a soft toothbrush or a finger brush, and some dog toothpaste, and brush her teeth at least once a week- more, if she never learns to like dental treats. Perhaps also try one of those dental water additives.) but my dog loves them- scratch that, she's OBSESSED. They're a bit softer than regular dental treats- supposedly they use an enzymatic cleaner as opposed to physical friction. I think that's why she prefers them.
For a regular chew, my dog uses the petstages dogwood toy, which comes in an original flavor, as well as a meat flavor. Some dogs never like chews though, so perhaps try other solutions for dental care, and get a puzzle toy or kong to help with occupying her. She may also like an edible rawhide replacement. or Blended rawhide, my dog likes "Super Snaxx Stixx" on Amazon.

Perhaps, to start out, you could break them into smaller pieces- she may just not like how long it takes to chew.

You may have lucked out with a dog that doesn't like squeakers- my dog can get quite annoying with hers lol. They do make dog toys that have crinkle paper inside instead of a squeaker, as well as ones that make no sound- you might try one of those playology (or similar) scented toys to get her interested, or buy a plush toy without a squeaker, or even just a tennis ball. Some dogs would love to just play with an old washcloth or hand towel. What's important is that you never force her to play, and are sure to show her that you are having a good time yourself.
my dog will absolutely not play with toys lol he loves treats tho but my 8 week puppy loves her toys or at least starting to get into that stage she isnt a fan of the training treats i try to give her one even broken up after she pottys outside and will not take it but my 2 year dog will its so weird how ones dislikes toys and the other one loves it lol then one loves treats and the other one doesnt haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

You may have lucked out with a dog that doesn't like squeakers- my dog can get quite annoying with hers lol. They do make dog toys that have crinkle paper inside instead of a squeaker, as well as ones that make no sound- you might try one of those playology (or similar) scented toys to get her interested, or buy a plush toy without a squeaker, or even just a tennis ball. Some dogs would love to just play with an old washcloth or hand towel. What's important is that you never force her to play, and are sure to show her that you are having a good time

I'll try your recommendations we do brush her teeth with a regular dog toothbrush she kind of gets scared, but she loves her toothpaste she literally eats it, just wanted to try dental chews to keep her teeth even more clean. The only thing she ever has chewed is when she is really playful and chews my beanie babies or just really random things like socks, never a actual toy. I broke her chews in really small chunks but she still showed no interest, but when she was playful all she did is hit her chews with her paws like a cat never chewed on them. But she is absolutely terrified of squeaky toys she runs away and starts shaking. We got her when she was already six months old but the women she was living with at the time had 4 young children so I think that's why my dog is scared of squeaky toys because they most likely yelled and screamed a lot and I'm not sure if they ever actually hurt her, but I'm pretty sure that could be a reason of why my dog is scared of any loud noise including squeaky toys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried a raw, meaty bone instead of some prepared treats or whatever? Raw bones clean teeth better than any or the so called dental chews on the market.

If her teeth are full of tarter she probably needs a veterinary teeth cleaning under anesthesia. Teeth that are unhealthy can be sore and a dog with sore teeth will not want to chew anything.
I brush her teeth she does chew her food, treats, and every now and then little pieces of food we drop. I haven't given her a raw bone though she has had one cooked one before that she has actually chewed and showed interest in I will definitely try giving her raw bones.

·
Super Moderator
2,961 Posts
I wouldn't be too discouraged if your dog doesn't much like chews. Not all dogs do. She might just not be chewer. You might be better off teaching her to accept having her teeth brushed.

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
It may also be worth having a vet check her mouth to make sure that there's no issues causing pain/discomfort when chewing. Some dogs just aren't that into chewing, so it could just be her preferences, but dental issues are sneaky and sometimes very subtle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts