Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 month old german shepherd. He has been a great dog and people say that he is really attached to me. Well when I first got him I wanted to cage train him which work out for the the first couple months that I had him. Hes hasn't had an accident in the house for a while but lately his new thing is when ever I leave he pees outside of his cage. Now when i tried to put some thing like a towel or a blanket around his cage so he wouldn't do that but he pulls it in by him and he pees outside of his cage. He has the right sized cage, I take him out and make sure he goes to the bathroom every time before I leave, and I make sure he gets plenty of exercise every day. I'm really not sure why he has been doing this lately but I'm getting tired and frustration of picking up his pee when ever i come home.
So any tips or ideas? :help:

·
Registered
591 Posts
at that age he may be marking territory also. Is he neutered ? and when he does pee you need to use a enzyme cleaner like natures miracle that neutralizes the odor. Not sure what kind of crate you have but if he can pee out of it you may try a new crate where he can't do that .

·
Registered
703 Posts
At about the same age, my mutt Bob started marking ALL OVER. I would pick up a little throw rug, a soft toy, all marked. At first I thought they were house training 'accidents' but then I saw him do it- leg up!

I cleaned every area he was marking with vinegar, and for a while tethered him to me. Luckily, he didn't mark his ex-pen area. He does still mark our truck tires if it's in the garage alone with him. They can go in and out of the area, so I had to block it off for now.

I hope this helps!

I have a 8 month old german shepherd. He has been a great dog and people say that he is really attached to me. Well when I first got him I wanted to cage train him which work out for the the first couple months that I had him. Hes hasn't had an accident in the house for a while but lately his new thing is when ever I leave he pees outside of his cage. Now when i tried to put some thing like a towel or a blanket around his cage so he wouldn't do that but he pulls it in by him and he pees outside of his cage. He has the right sized cage, I take him out and make sure he goes to the bathroom every time before I leave, and I make sure he gets plenty of exercise every day. I'm really not sure why he has been doing this lately but I'm getting tired and frustration of picking up his pee when ever i come home.
So any tips or ideas? :help:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts