Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog refuses to poop or pee while outside on the leash. Instead, he will hold it as long as he can (around 36 hours) and then is forced to relieve himself wherever he is which is usually the apartment. We live downtown so there isn't anywhere I can let him go without the leash. In short, he needs to learn to go while on the leash.

I rescued him from a boxer rescue a few days ago so I don't know what his previous training has been but my previous boxers would never go while on a leash either. It wasn't a problem then because I had a backyard where I could just let them out.

I know that when he does finally poop or pee outside I should praise him and give him a treat but the problem is that he doesn't ever do it while we're outside. Short of me camping outside with him for 48 hours I'm not sure how to make sure he knows it's okay to go outside.

Help please!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Get a long rope and use it as a leash. Give him the opportunity to go behind a bush, or around the building out of your site. That might help. When he does poop or pee, give it a name. "Good potty" or something like that, so potty becomes your cue and then when you take him out, you can say, "go potty".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the problem is more that he simply won't go poop or pee outside on the leash. I've decided to keep him on the leash inside (he just drags it around) so that he gets more used to always being on the leash. I'm also considering tricking him into going outside. I have chicken broth that I could dilute down and mix with his food. From what I understand, this will act as a natural laxative. If we go out for a very, very long walk my hope is that the laxative will kick in and voila! I can then praise him to no end and hopefully he will understand that it's good to go while outside on the leash.

Has this worked for anybody else?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts