Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a similar posting on here but I didn't want to take over their post. My Berner when she wants outside will go half way through the door and stops and won't budge, she won't listen when I tell her MOVE IT! I have to physically use my body (legs) and push her out the door. What's up with that? and then after she turns and looks at me like "what??" any ideas?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Puppy classes teach the owners that puppies are afraid to go through narrow openings (in the wild, the Alphas go first....but, don't get me started on the Alpha in the wild and the domestic dog habits!) This is part of the confidence building/training that goes into raising a puppy.

There is another element to this though....even old dogs will often stop at narrow places and scent the air for possible trouble before moving forward.

You might want to have her follow you out the door anyway...you go first. Not because you're 'Alpha' but, it teaches her to not bolt out the door ahead of you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really like both of the previous comments. Let me just add one more thing. Does your dog know the "come" command? If not, i'd work on this---first somewhere other than the doorway, then once she has it down, try to apply it to the doorway. Use plenty of treats!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies:) I should clarify my situation a bit better. She acts likes she wants to go outside and then I say " you want outside?" and she runs to the door, I then proceed to open the door for her and she starts going out halfway and then stops and won't budge no matter how wide the door is opened. I tell her to hurry up because I have some cats that aren't allowed to go out and she takes her sweet time. She is afraid of nothing that I can tell except some collectible dolls I have that creep her out:D and she knows the come command quite well. I got to thinking today that maybe she's doing this to see if the cats will bolt out the door? any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was it my post? I was having a similar issue with one of mine - would freeze up outside... Cut up hotdogs, use them as a lure. My girl daisy is doing so much better in like 2 weeks.
She used to freeze up completely outside and not want to go for a walk at all, using cut-up hotdogs I managed to lure her around enough to realize it's not so bad outside, and we have successfully gone for walks at the park 3 times in the past 2 weeks :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
If she knows a 'come' command, then going out first and calling her to come might get her outside? Hard to say what she's waiting for. Maybe somehow she things "going out side" means just sticking her body halfway out the door? Sounds odd I know, but dogs can think up the strangest interpretations for what you want sometimes. :rolleyes: :)

·
Banned
95 Posts
Excellent advice. Especially about the part about you leading first. Some dogs won't move out the door unless the person goes first. I've met a lot of dogs like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts