Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in, and i am sorry in advance if i am wrong....but. my 10 year old black lab was feeling fine about two weeks ago, then things suddenly got bad, it was off/on, but he was worrying me, so i took him to the vet. they did some bloodwork, and his phosphorus levels were 29...vet said that is 10 higher than he has ever seen....and here's where my question is, a friend of mine came over for visits while i was at work, and gave him milkbones, lots of them. he started feeding them to him about a month ago, maybe a little longer. and he felt that it was somehow his fault, so he looked up, and they have a lot of phosphorus in them, it's a long shot, but does that have anything to do with it?....and it is too late to save him, he was put down today...it's just all i can think about, is this partially my fault? i mean, i've had the dog since i was 8, and it's just hard to fathom not having him. any insight would be greatly appreciated, at least it'll put me at ease to know the truth, instead of wondering, thank you

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, knowing what caused it won't bring him back. Just try and be strong and hang in there, the pain you are feeling will go away.

The dog I had from when I was 12 until I was 25 was a black lab mix. The day I had to put her down was one of the most difficult of my life. I loved that dog so much. But slowly I got over it, and then in a year or so I was ready to start over again with another dog. I still have that dog. I've had her for 10 years now, and I feel the same way about her as I did about my lab. She is number 1.

I wish you the best...hang in there!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We any of his other levels high?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the vet said that there were 3 main readings of kidney function, the phosphorus was 29, the other two i can't remember the name of. i think they were 3 letter acronyms, but he told me they were both very high he also said that he had about 25% kidney function. and that he wouldn't make it another week

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The milkbones didn't cause the kidneys to fail. So do not blame yourself or your friend. KD can go unnoticed for quite a long time. Unfortunately sometimes by the time symptoms do appear it is beyond help. Dogs hid illness quite well cats hid them even better. I am sorry for both your dog and you. But it is not your fault.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Agee that it wasn't your fault. Kidney disease will cause high phosphate readings. As mentioned kidney disease can go undetected for a long while, and is common in older pets. Please don't blame yourself.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your pet. ((hugs))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts