Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

My dog was just diagnosed with Pancreatitis....need support. Also what causes it?

Tags
sick dog
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Abbymarie 
#1 · (Edited)
Our poodle Zack was diagnosed today with Pancreatitis. He is 1 years old. Could you tell me what causes this? Also is there any good places I can go to get some reading on it. They expect him to make a full recovery but I feel I should have caught this. I've felt something was wrong for awhile but everything was always okay. today he coughed up what I believe was blood so I took him in and they checked him out and turns out it was Pancreantitis.

Anyone who has been through this I'd love to hear from you and your support is greatly appreciated.

Also he doesn't get table scraps or any people food for that matter. He is currently fed Diamond Naturals Lamb and rice. He had been on Purina products most of his life but we switched him to Maxximum and for the last 2 months he has been on Diamond and has been doing well, so we thought.

Anyways I'm a wreck.

They say he will make a full recovery, but I feel I should have known something was wrong

#2 ·
First of all, don't beat yourself up. Vets miss stuff all the time and they are experts, you can't expect yourself to be able to read the dogs mind. All that matters is that you took the dog to the vet and that the problem was discovered and is being addressed. You can pat yourself on the back for catching it before it became serious!
I went to start typing about pancreatitis but decided it would be just easier to reference you to my old stand by... http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dpancrea.html this is a GOLD MINE of info. Some of it is written in somewhat technical language, but if you can wade through it you will learn alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.