Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I made this account in hopes of getting some input from possibly other people who have been through a similar situation. While taking one of my other dogs to the vet today for routine vaccinations, my vet told me that the biopsy results for my terrier mix had come back with the verdict of cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. I've only had her for 3 years, so I don't know any of her past history, only that she was living on the streets prior to my scooping her up. I have done some research and it seems this type of cancer can be easily managed by removing the tumors as they pop up.

I will be taking her to the vet in a couple of days for her vaccinations and will be able to talk to the doctor more in depth then. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a dog with this particular diagnosis and how it turned out.

Thanks!
ruby q.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
hemangiosarcomas can be very aggressive, especially if attached to the spleen. However if your pooch has the cutaneous kind, it may just be easily removed in a short procedure and never return!

I work at a veterinary hospital where we have an oncologist on staff; we see alot of these and they are successfully removed often. You may want to look for a veterinary oncologist in your area and ask him/her about it as well if you have specific questions.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I would talk to an oncologist first before giving any vaccines. Maybe even consider doing a titer test just to see if your dog really needs the vax so as not to anger an already immune system that is compromised. Steps I would consider if it was my dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planning on taking her to an oncologist once we get stateside. I am moving back to the States in a month, and am flying my dogs ahead of me to stay with family. She is supposed to leave on a plane Friday morning. In order to fly though, she needs her rabies shot. If it's just the rabies, would it be alright? I just need to get her to the states where I know she can get better help :/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts