Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog was at my mothers house and was bit pretty bad at my mothers house, by my mothers shih tzu. I was not there and did not see it. It has been several days since the bite, and I am not sure if I need to take my dog to the vet. The area seems swollen, it is on the side of her neck, like in line with the ear, but on the neck. It is kind of scabbed over and hard, its full of hair so it is hard to see. But on the other side (other ear side) of her neck is a large swollen area where the skin doesn't seem to have been broken. But very puffy and hard. I was feeling around her neck and under her jaw line and i can feel what seems like (in humans at least) swollen lymph nodes. That is kind of what this large swollen area is like, hard and firm and tender but seem way to big for it to be a lymph node on this little 6 pound yorkie. However the ones under the jaw line feel like lymph nodes that are the right size for her and feel enlarged. All of this was tender for her. I don't know, can a dog get an infection from another dog's bite? Both dogs are up to date on their shots. The area that is hard and scabbed over could very well be draining, but I wouldn't know because it is a gob of hair and scab, but definitely swollen. At least on people we can see redness and infection, but I am just not sure on a dog. I am in the medical field so I know what an infection looks like. Times are tough, money is tight, and I don't want to unnecessarily take the dog to the vet for him to only say, it will be ok, just give it time to heal up. But I will for sure if these are signs that something is wrong. All advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dogs can absolutely get an infection from a dog bite and what you are describing is not normal healing. Get her to the vet asap, antibiotics are most likely in order.

Oh and as far as the area where the skin didn't feel broken... It's very common for a dog to get a puncture wound from another animal and for it not to be noticeable until it becomes infected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the quick reply, I already discussed these areas of concern with my husband and we decided to get her in the vet right away. Thank you again. Something just doesn't seem right about the feel of the areas. If it were my kid with swollen areas and lymph nodes that I could feel that were near a bite, I'd take my kid to the doctor. Just needed a little advice.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
How is your dog?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. My little yorkie is doing much better. The vet shaved off the clump, and there was a bloody puncture wound. It was pretty big. He put her on antibiotics and some pain reliever. She seems to be doing much better, but not all the way. They thought the other side that was swollen was just the same kind of wound, just no puncture. Contusion? My husband took her so, you how they relay information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts