Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! And thank you guys for answering questions like this. I have found this forum really helpful before. English is not my native tongue, but I'll try to make the question detailed and understandable.

My nice little Staffordshire Bullterrier (now 17 months old) has always been nice to people and playful with other dogs. I can say that she has always been quite sensitive to other energies and she has always been really "calm-submissive". My local puppydog trainer also commented on this, but as a positive thing.

Up until recently she has been playful and cheery in meeting other dogs in the dog park etc., allthough she has been a bit avoiding to aggressive energies.

Recently (last couple of months) she has become more and more avoiding all kinds of dogs. When we meet one in the streets she seems interested in meeting it until the other dog tries to sniff her or something, and then she kind of panicly runs in another direction pulling and tugging to get away. If this is not a possibility (i.e. if other dog is not on a leash) she tries to jump into my arms to get away. This goes for all kinds of dogs, not only the ferocious ones. Old playdatedogfriends of hers has suddenly become someone to avoid and not play with.

I would say that I am able to keep calm in these situations and I do not think I contribute to the apparent anxiety. She has not had any really scary encounters with other dogs, except a few small and unavoidable brawls with dogs in the park. It just seems that her submissiveness has become scared-of-other-dogs-ness. She is not aggressive towards them.

Is this maybe just a phase? What can I do to make her remember that other dogs mostly are nice?

I would not like her to go through life "scared".

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You write English quite well!
Can you arrange to have a friend bring a friendly well socialized dog over to your house for play days, to give her a chance to socialize in a safe environment, where she feels secure? It might help. It may be that a "dog park" environment is overwhelming to her, and she is tense and stressed out having to be "on guard" all of the time there.

Many dogs do not like off leash dogs approaching when they are on leash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts