Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started a few days ago, and she has about one episode each day.

I've read online that it could be due to allergies, which is possible since it's the turn of the seasons around here (spring to summer) and there has been crazy amounts of pollin in the air.

Is this something I should be worried about? I am bringing my puppy into the vet sometime next week to get more heart worm pills, should I ask my vet about it?

Are there any ways to stop it? I feel so bad...it's like me getting the hiccups, they suck but will go away on their own. I've read on some sites to hold her nostrils shut or pull on her tongue? They seem odd....but if they work I will try them.

My poor baby....they do not look fun :(

·
Registered
296 Posts
sounds like a case of the snorts. unless it's happening for several minutes at a time, i'd just consider it a fluke

dont hold your dogs nostrils closed and pull on their tongue, that will only traumatize the poor thing.

if you are really concerned, phone your vet.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a case of the snorts. unless it's happening for several minutes at a time, i'd just consider it a fluke

dont hold your dogs nostrils closed and pull on their tongue, that will only traumatize the poor thing.

if you are really concerned, phone your vet.
Lol, that's what I thought too.

It lasts for about...3 minutes or so. It's been happening everyday for the passed 4 or so days. Usually just once a day, sometimes twice.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This happens to Chloe a lot, esp during the pollen season. I asked my vet and he said it's totally normal. She previously has had two rounds of allergy testing, and is mildly allergic to pollen and some other random enviornmental factors.

I just try to get her to calm down (it scares her!) and rub her back and ears and it usually stops within a minute. It sounds SO scary though!

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
This happens every now and then to Kuma. I find that gently cupping my hand over his muzzle and rubbing his chest/belly area helps alot. It sounds scary, but it isn't serious, kind of like getting the hicups, lol.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
My beagles used to reverse sneeze all the time. They don't anymore, and I'm not sure why. Unless it's bothering her greatly or becoming increasingly frequent, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I read (forget where, sorry) that stroking the throat area can help. Hershey has had a few occurrences but they come and go faster than I can really try stroking her throat.

One of her playmates, chiX, gets them quite often at puppy playtime. For this dog at least, it seems to be related to activity level. If she gets really worked up and playing hard, she'll start reverse sneezing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my sister's beagle reverse sneezes.
she told me that her vet said it wasn't really a problem if it isn't happening too often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts