Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I signed up just to comment. That is not possibly true that dogs eat 10% of their weight, and bad advice, even small dogs. Were that true, a bag of dog food, would last my dog, two weeks. 10% are you kidding? I hope nobody read this and is overfeeding their dog. Cite your sources.

Get a scale. Small dogs can need 10% their body weight daily. My little orally obsessed dog gets only 2.5% to maintain a lean body but there are lots of treats on top of that, he is 13 pounds. Diet is 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other organ like spleen/brain/kidney, 80% meat and red meat like beef, pork, lamb and venison are better than fish and poultry. I'm not happy with how that compared to NRC and add 1/2 tablet of a multimineral/vitamin to my little dogs' daily ration.

Use ground beef more often then ground poultry, fattier and higher in some essential nutrients.
Use beef liver for about half the liver or he won't get enough copper.

Give him a challenging meal at least once a week. Right now that is elk bone here but pork or beef neck in huge bits, beef ribs, turkey neck, lamb or fish head, other pork bones that get worked for a good amount of time really settle my food seeker down. Couple months ago he worked a bone for 3 hours and was so relaxed for a couple days I thought he was sick! As I write the dogs are working elk bones, an hour so far with no slowing down. Bucky has a 6" circle of of a scapula and Ginger has 5" of elbow I think. I expect to throw away bare bone but food seeker can get through pretty big stuff.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The poster you are quoting was talking about raw food, not kibble. Raw food, which has a very high moisture content (since it's raw, uncooked meat, organs, and bones), is generally calculated by percentage of the dog's body weight. For an average adult dog, 3-5% of their body weight is typical. For a hard keeper or an extremely active dog and/or a growing puppy, upwards of 10% might be needed to keep them in optimal condition.

My 55 pound GSD got 2.5 to 2.75 pounds of food per day when I was feeding raw. On Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice formula, she gets 2 cups, or 8.5 ounces.

Reactions: Tater33
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.