Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year old Golden/Lab that only humps boys. He was neutered at 6 months so that's not the problem, at least i think. A neighbors male dog got into our backyard yesterday and yes Mondo mounted him. When i walked out on him mounting the neighbor dog he jumped off and chased the dog out of the yard. How can i get him to stop this?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Dogs hump to establish dominance or, if they are bored they may hump other things. One thing you can try is to distract him as soon as you see him starting, and offer something more interesting to do for him. I haven't had a problem with this, so I don't have experience, but that seems like it would be something that may work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This mounting most likely is a sign of excitement and (non-sexual) arousal.

When Mondo is playing and starts to mount, interrupt him. You can have him drag a leash so you can (gently, without hurting him) pull him away. It may be advisable to attach the leash to a harness for this, or at least get a snap-back. You may also be able to interrupt using sound, like an airhorn. I would not, however, recommend using something like a water gun or hose. You want to interrupt, not punish. If you are interrupting him very often during a session end play. He is getting too excited. Either try a 5 minute or so timeout, away from the action, or just call it a day.

In the meantime, start training a way to get Mondo's attention even when he is distracted. Chances are this will take a while, but start working on name recognition. First, in a low distraction environment, start rewarding Mondo for giving you eye contact when you call his name. Dog Star Daily has a good video: http://bit.ly/3gq6lN

Build on the name recongition so that you can call Mondo and he responds in a busy environment. Once it works well, use it to call him before he starts to mount. Watch his body language and after awhile you should be able tell when he is getting too wound up. When he is, call him, reward him for coming to you, and then let him go back to play after he settles down.

Over time Mondo will learn how to control his excitement level without even knowing it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs hump to establish dominance or, if they are bored they may hump other things.

They also do it out of excitment, habit and to practice that necessary life skill. Same category as chasing, pouncing and biting which may or may not be dominance related.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Around here, it's part of play. Two of my dogs do it to the others and each other and it's always when they're playing rowdy. Kind if like playing "King of the Hill". It doesn't bother me at all and I don't really understand why it bothers people...

·
Registered
18 Posts
My female dog was caught humping the back of another male dog. I was in such shock i didnt think to stop her. i just kinda laughed a bit. She wasnt doing it out of pleasure as she wasnt even rubbing him, just kinda humping the air behind him but it was still very funny. Maybe it was a play thing, something she learned from other dogs or even a dominance thing but as long as she doesnt start humping people then Im fine. She is spayed BTW.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Around here, it's part of play. Two of my dogs do it to the others and each other and it's always when they're playing rowdy. Kind if like playing "King of the Hill". It doesn't bother me at all and I don't really understand why it bothers people...
Because people put the mounting behavior (the proper term for it btw, folks) into an inappropriate sexual context. As you know, though, it's only sexual when the hormones are flowing and puppies can result.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been trying to deal with a similar issue, thanks for the advice egoebelbecker. It's pretty much what I do now, but I'm going to start removing him if it doesn't stop.

FIC, it doesn't really bother me either. It does however make other people uncomfortable sometimes and some dogs at DP really do not tolerate it well. I've seen it lead to snappiness and tussles, so I try to discourage it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts