Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is named Jenny. She is a 60 lb lab/pit-bull mix and will be 3 years old in October. She used to be a service dog but needed to be rehoused because she was not attentive enough to the seizures that the boy was having. We've had her for about 7 months and we've never had any problems. She adjusted very well. We just recently moved to California from Colorado and she had originally thought we were trying to leave her behind in the empty house and ran away, but only down the street. We got her back of course, and kept her in the car so she couldn't run off again, and she calmed down.

We've been here in California for about a month and a half and she's been doing very well. I'm not working right now so I've been taking her to dog parks (which she loves) and on long walks to the park down the street a ways.

ANYWAYS!!! my point of posting this thread...About two weeks ago, we were taking the lid off of her treat container and it fell on the linoleum and made a very loud noise. It startled her and now she slinks along the ground whenever I giver her treats, call her to the kitchen, and it's even when I try to feed her now. I tried to feed her this morning and she hasn't eaten it yet and it's 3:15 pm

I don't know how to let her know she's not in trouble...whenever I call her over (in my most calming voice) she slinks over and sometimes pees - but it's only in the kitchen...I don't want her to be afraid of the kitchen, because that's where her food is...should I just move her food dish and have her ignore the kitchen now?? How can I make her "like" the kitchen again??

Any advice would be awesome :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Poor Jenny! I think she just had a lot of stressors pile up and the lid hitting the floor was the straw that broke the camel's back. Personally, I would start feeding her outside of the kitchen. You may even have to hand feed her, or use chicken broth or meat to make her food more appealing. Once she's eating normally in the other room, slowly move the bowl back towards the kitchen. (Wait at least 2 weeks to do this to give her time to get over the stress.) I would also make awesome things happen in the kitchen after 2 weeks of normal eating somewhere else. Really great treats, lots of praise, play time, anything to make Jenny feel better about the kitchen.

I would also consider a vet visit. Hypothyroidism can cause fear issues, and 3 is the typical age for the onset of hypothyroidism. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the advice!!

I have moved her food into the corner of the dining room (which is more convenient anyways) and she has been eating more regularly now. I have been giving her treats in the kitchen and she seems to be doing better, I even gave her some treats while holding the "evil lid" that made that noise. She is still very skeptical, but once she sees it's just treats and praise, she feels better. I even saw her in the kitchen this morning just sniffing around.

I will be taking her in for a vet visit soon, she's due for her yearly exam as well, so I will have the vet check for that.

Thanks again!!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts