Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family adopted a lab/border collie mix from the shelter about a year ago. We were told she was spayed.

Last night she started acting strange, and I noticed for the first time that she was bloated. I was convinced that it was Bloat, and that she was going to die because I couldn't get ahold of our vet. Suddenly she yelped and shot out a puppy. I was shocked to say the least. I don't know anything about puppy birth, my dogs have always been spayed ASAP. But I watch a lot of Animal Planet. :p She looked terrified, and she wasn't helping the puppy out of it's little sack, so I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut it out. I rubbed it with a towel until it made puppy noises, and then I coaxed her to lick it.

She gave birth to seven puppies. After the first she began getting them cleaned up and breathing on her own.

She seems to be attentive, and they are all nursing. But what the hell do I do now? I know NOTHING about this. Should I take her to the vet for a check up, even though everything seems fine?

My other dog is pissed and won't leave my bedroom... but I'm guessing that is probably for the best.

I know that the pups should stay with their mom for eight weeks... what supplies do I need to get to them to that point?

Please, anything you could tell me would be most helpful.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yikes!!!:eek:....well I have never had to handle pups ether...but I would guess for now if mom is doing a good job feeding and cleaning them ...then just let them be.....I would also put a call into the vet to see what the recommend......You need to make sure you giving mom extra food now ..she will need it while nursing the pups...also a very good idea to keep the other dog away..as mom will be very protective of her babies...well thats all I can think of for now...again it might be a good idea just to call your vet and ask them a few questions :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1. Take mother and pups to the vet to be checked and while there ask him about proper post-natal care for the mother.

2. If she's feeding them and cleaning up after them, then everything's fine (at least for now). It's not uncommon for a first time mother to not know what to do at first.

3. You should closely monitor the pups (weigh them daily, make sure they stay warrm, and are nursing) for at least the next two weeks. This is the most crucial time for the pups.

4. Ask the vet if he knows any breeders in the area who he could put you in contact with to be mentored through this.

5. The other dog should not be allowed in where the puppies are. The mother would not permit it and you don't want to stress her out. But you should be handling them daily so they get used to human touch. Do not allow anyone into the nursery unless they first remove their shoes (we can track in things that could harm the pups). And no one, other than you or someone she's comfortable with (wash your hands) should handle the pups until she's willing to permit it (usually once the pups start moving around and weaning begins).

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Yikes!
I have not been thru puppies but as a farmer I swear EVERYTHING came to me to give birth.. (the dog was spayed) from the cows to dumped cats to wild animals. It is all pretty much the same.. and you did the right thing.

Going to the vet is important. The vet will palpate Mom to be sure there are no left over puppies. Sometimes one can get stuck and not come out and you surely don't want Mom to get sick with Pyometra.

Weighing and monitoring pups health.. handling them etc. is very important. You may want to set up a place for them because when they get mobil.. well the go anywhere.. and by go I don't mean just walking around!

You need to keep a close eye on Mom too. Extra food, lots and lots of clean water and the rest.

And yeah.. you are going to need to find puppy homes and that is going to be your hugest job.

And, you know, while you are at it, let the darn shelter know you got a dog that was PREGO and that she De-Pregged practiallcy in your LAP! :rolleyes: How could they not know? Ooops.. sorry.. just reread it.. you had your dog a year and she was SUPPOSED to be Spayed! Sorry.. Must be all those puppies.. LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
sorry I'm not more help but sometimes to save money there are different ways shelters spay dogs, such as crushing ovarys (where aren't totally crushed or they heal themselves) rather than take it all out (the safest/best way). lol Or some shelters are lazy, see a scar on their tummy assume they're spayed :) My foster boston went into heat at 4 months old, it was the most awful, messy blah ever lol. I am just surprised you didn't notice she was in heat, she probably went through at least 2 heats before getting pregnant ;)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
You got good advice. I hope you will post some pictures of the little darlings for us to all ooh and ahh over. :) I hope all goes well. I suspect you will be a very busy person for the next 8-12 weeks. Start now lining up good homes. You might be able to contact rescues and or the shelter to help you find Pre-approved pet homes. Making sure they go to homes where the people will spay/neuter so as to end this cycle. ;)
I also WOULD be letting the shelter know you were not so happy about this little surprise. Hopefully they will be more careful in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

I called and made an appointment to get her into the vet, and I'm going to ask about some contact information for some local breeders.

I can't believe that I didn't know my girl was pregnant. She sleeps up in bed with me every night; you think I would have noticed something. I can't remember her ever bleeding over the past year, either. It's so strange. I don't know who the puppies’ father is, since I thought she was spayed, I never worried when the neighborhood dogs would get into our yard and play with her... there have been many.

I'll post some pictures once things settle down a bit. My dog is solid black, but the puppies have pretty aussie-merle markings, save one, who is pure black like his momma. I don't think I'll have trouble finding them homes; they are going to be lovely dogs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Make sure you read up on puppy socialization. Stanley Coren has a good book, "How Dogs Think" that has a section in it on how to socialize puppies and it is very easy reading. Three to twelve weeks of age is the critical period. Right now they should be getting everything they need from their mother. I am glad you have decided to take them all to the vet for a good check. Lots of things can be wrong and a good going over by the vet can save a lot of tears and money in the long run. Good luck and enjoy your puppies, they are a lot of work but they are also a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Just a thought, if you take the puppies to the vet, keep them in a box or something where they don't touch anything else. Vet's offices have all kinds of nasties that can be detrimental to your puppies (i.e. parvo) I honestly think I'd keep the pups in the car with someone and just bring mom in to make sure she hasn't retained a puppy or placenta.

I've read conflicting information on whether or not to take a dog to the vet with a newborn litter. Some say don't do it because mom could pick up things on her fur or feet that could make the puppies sick.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
not knowing she was in heat could be a situation of her having "silent" cycles....i had a Sibe that had silent cycles all except one heat and that was her 1st....

the advice above is just what i would have said and so, on that, i'll say no more.....but i will say, you better post some pics of those babies (and momma) or we'll have to send out the "internet police" to come get you :D:rolleyes:....)oh, and keep your eyes open for an intact male in Aussie pattern and you'll probably have daddy....then file a paternity suit [JK])

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
A Campbell had some good thoughts. I will say that I don't think of that because for years when I bred animals I had a farm vet who came to the farm. If this happened to me, I would have just ahd the vet come to me....

However, it has been 9 years off the farm now and I know my dog is spayed because she was a purchased dog and I had her spayed. I have not had a rescue dog in quite a few years.

I guess you shoud just sort of take a look 'round back when any neighbor's dog comes over to uhhh.. Play and see who still has a set. Might help determine who Daddy is... LOL

·
Registered
858 Posts
Like Elana55 said, you should be sure to handle each and every puppy every day. There are some methods for doing so--one of the most popular is called the Bio-Sensor method--but I find that if you handle them, hold them, stroke their feet, let them sleep upside-down in your hands, etc., they get used to being handled by humans and will be more social as they grow up.

You should be trimming their tiny claws at the least every couple of days or so. Just take a fingernail trimmer (will work for now but not when they are bigger) and clip that little hook off of the end. Otherwise, their claws can scratch their mom's chest and nipples, and those can become infected.

Watch the mom closely. Make sure they are using all of her nipples, and check all of her breasts at least a couple of times a day. You need to check for hardness, redness, swelling, discomfort, and make sure she does not get mastitis.

Also increase her food supply and keep her water supply full and fresh. We free-feed our nursing moms, adding a little yogurt or cottage cheese. Watch her for signs of eclampsia, which can be fast-acting and fatal. There is a good article on what to watch for here: http://www.ehow.com/how_2098204_detect-canine-eclampsia-milk-fever.html

You will need to make some sort of pen to keep them in when they get bigger, or they will trash your house! I would suggest something like what is called an exercise-pen, which is sort of a wire corral.

They will need regular worming, starting at 2 weeks of age. Talk to your vet about this. It will help them to grow regularly and strongly.

Good luck--be sure to check back if/when you have questions. There are several members that have raised litters before, and we can usually help with simple questions--and we will be sure to tell you "VET" if you need it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we had a huge snow storm today, so our Veterinary Clinic had a vet tech that lives just down the street from us (good contact!) come and make sure there were no pressing matters with Stella and her puppies.

Stella came and sniffed the tech when she first came in the house, but she wasn’t aggressive at all while she handled the babies. She weighed all of them, and she said they all looked good. No cleft pallets or anything. She confirmed that we’ve got four girls and three boys.

Stella looks fine too. The tech says she’s got a c-section scar, and that the humane society probably thought it was a spay-scar. It’s odd that she’s had a c-section since this birth went off without a hitch…other then my thinking she was dying, that is.

The tech loaned me a scale to weigh the puppies everyday, and she left me a bottle and some formula incase any of the puppies need it.

I’m a college student, and I live with my parents who are going a little bit crazy. My dad made Stella an omelet with eggs, cheese and puppy food this morning. He did build her a nice box to lie in with the pups, it’s not a whelping box, but it’s working well. My mom won’t leave the house; she wants to be with Stella and the puppies at all times, even if my dad and I are home.

I’ve been trying to give Scout, our other dog, a lot of love. She’s just not a happy camper. She growls when the puppies cry. We haven’t been letting her get close to them, but she hasn’t really tried to approach, either.

The cat went to say over to say hello before I could stop her, but she behaved, and Stella didn’t mind.

So, just a little (long winded) update. Thanks for all of the advice and comments!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts