Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chihuahua beagle (pretty small, 11 pounds - think beagle hit with a shrink ray) who just turned a year old. For most of her life (I've had her since she was 10 weeks old), she's loved food and eaten everything very quickly. But in the past couple weeks, she's gotten into the habit of picking up a few pieces in her mouth and then just dropping them on the floor. Sometimes she'll go back and eat them, and kind of graze her bowl all day, and other times she just won't eat at all. She's not more lethargic, she plays with the same amount of energy and sleeps her usual amount, but she's just not eating. I don't think it's an issue with her teeth as she chews her bones and rips up her toys, and she'll eat treats and try to get whatever I'm eating. She was at the vet a week ago and they didn't seem to think anything of it, because of her on-off behavior.

She was eating Nature's Recipe chicken and rice puppy kibble, and I've been mixing in Iams probiotic chicken and rice mini kibble adult mix to switch her over. She started this kibble dropping habit with the Nature's Recipe so I don't think it's because of the slow switch, but she's also not eating around it at the Iams. Any suggestions on what I can do to get her to eat?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
She may not need as much food now that she's fully grown. She'll continue to fill out with muscle but main growth has been over for a while. You might want to write down how much is offered and how much she actually eats. It could be half of the amount the chart on the bag reads and be just fine. When I fed kibble the dogs got about 2/3s the amount on the bag and were lean and muscled.

I dislike free feeding. Ants, going stale, not noticing dog is having trouble eating, just not something I'm comfortable doing.

I'd switch her to regular meals. She's not much smaller than my dogs and they are fine polishing off their food twice a day. If you are really worried about her stopping eating then measure out what you have estimated she eats and put that down for a couple hours morning and night. When she gets the idea and starts digging in reduce the time it is put down to 20 minutes or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts