Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my dog (a Great Pyrenees mixed with Anatolian) is almost 5 months old and i've noticed when he walks his back legs kinda limp a bit and he sways. It doesn't appear to cause him any pain and he can get on the couch just fine, I just want to know if I should be worried or not.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If he's limping, he's in some degree of pain, whether or not he shows it in other ways.

I'd see a vet. There's something called panosteitis that occurs particularly in large-breed dogs about his age, though it's more common in the front legs. It's temporary and usually responds well to treatment (and you do want to treat! It can cause fever and lead to muscle atrophy otherwise). But it may also be something more serious and lifelong like hip dysplasia, which you absolutely want to deal with early if it's already causing symptoms. Whatever it is, it's going to be better for your pup to get evaluated by a vet ASAP so you can find the underlying root of the problem and work out an appropriate treatment and pain management plan with your doctor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts