Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year and half old dog name Mia who is very sick. My current Vet does not know what is wrong with her. She has diarrhea and goes about 7-12 x per day. She is loosing weight fast but still has an appetite. We have her on Tylan powder and probiotics and she has had a 10 day Z-pack. Nothing has changed with her stool or her weight in fact her weight has gone down. The vet has her on a high calorie diet and feedings of 3-4 x a day or as much as she wants. We are in dire need of help to save our dogs life. She came back positive for cryptosporidium. It has been about 3 weeks of this mess. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Has your vet given your dog a full blood panel? Has he/she checked for Pancreatitis? There are so many things with these symptoms.

I really cannot help .... but here is a site that has a symptom checker .... you can read up on this and see what you think you need to ask the vet. Just put your symptoms in.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/dog-symptom-checker/abdomen#.UTfHCn5QHxw

I hope you find out what is wrong. I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I don't know much about cryptosporidium, but our puppy is having diarrhea problems and our vet put her on a low fat diet. I wasn't sure how it could be good for a puppy to be on low fat, but he said it will help bond the stools and that high fat will make it worse. So maybe you should try a low fat diet? We're currently using Hills Prescription i/d Low Fat GI Restore. It's expensive, but it's the only thing that has helped our puppy's diarrhea so far.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would have stool samples on your puppy checked, Jen2010, including giardia and cryptosporidium. Had any medications been given?

·
Registered
66 Posts
did the vet mention flagyl? you can buy from vet or online, cheaper on line of course. That WILL stop the loose stools. I always have a bottle on hand "just in case". Its a pill you give three times a day for three days, But you need to find the cause of it to begin with. This is just a temporary fix, I'd put put her on a raw diet of ground up chicken, with the bones, bones will also help with loose stools. Take the skin off the chicken before grinding. Or add some bone meal to her food. They need bone meal or ground up bones for solid poop. Check for parasites and if that is clear try the flagyl and chicken it should help If you buy bone meal make sure its the edible kind, they also sell a brand for plants not for eating.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Are the stools flat like pancakes, and does the dog eat ravenously and drink profuse amounts of water? Our female Chow mix developed these problems a few weeks after we adopted her when she was about a year old. Our vet didn't know what was wrong but I did a little bit of online research and found something about a pancreas problem that develops in some dogs. He decided to follow that line and put her on Pancread powder, a food supplement made out of pork intestines (I think that's correct.) It corrected the problem. She's been taking it for over ten years now but we only give it to her with breakfast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When we first brought our puppy home (3 years ago) she had the same symptoms. The first vet I took her to, would not even listen to my concerns. So I took her to another vet. She had just moved to my area and said that in the previous clinic she worked at many dogs had giardia, so she tested for that. That is what she had. Unfortunately I don't remember the medicine she gave her, but it cleared up within a day or two. It is not something that vets (in our area anyway) commonly test for. I hope your puppy gets better soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts