Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sick dog that needs to stay calm. Sick human that is making the dog crazy with added bonus that crazy dog is worrying sick human. I think I'd put all her food into a baggie and keep it on me. When she comes to you give her a piece of it. When you know there's a coughing fit coming on get a handful ready and feed calmly and quickly until the fit is over. If that is too much for her then toss it. Even tossing several pieces at the same time might help relax her if you are really having a tough time.

I do think the coughing is bothering her. Coughing is loud and you aren't happy about having to cough. She may well think she is in trouble. I know when I'm upset at something not going right that has nothing to do with the dogs they still get upset and slink around with wide eyes.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Relaxation Protocol is extremely stimulating mentally. Bucky's an anxious mess and I didn't want to encourage hyper activity so that was the first real training he had. He attempts to lay on the training mat before I can get it on the floor and is so delighted to stay put no matter how odd I act. Really good stuff. Do it. Start now.

He is now enrolled in obedience class. An hour without getting to race around chasing things and barking at dogs and people. Okay lots of cookies were involved. I suspect KORP is why he can behave as well as the more normal dogs in the class. We had to move away from dogs because they were getting too interested, he was staying calm and trusting me. Really good stuff. Do it. Start now.

How's your health? I hope as it improves she calms down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts