Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog and I recently moved into a new house with my roommate and his dog. My roommate has a 100lb 1 year old dog (mine is 5 years old and 85lbs) that seems to always annoy my dog and antagonizing him (chasing him around non-stop, jumping on him when I try to take my dog outside, biting his tail...). Its gotten to the point that I can no longer let him roam around the house without me having to attempt to get my roommates dog to leave mine alone!

Before all this my dog has never had aggression issue but they slowly are starting to come to the surface. I kind of feel that my dog is just getting annoyed by the massive puppy all the time which may be bringing up aggression issues towards other larger dogs.

Recently he has been growling, nipping and lunging at my roommates dog when we both are outside with them.

They both are great dogs and I don't want to favor one over the other...but this has to stop before it gets even worse!!

Any suggestions or places to start working with him on before he gets too aggressive??!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You will need a trainer who uses positive methods to come and help. My interpretation is that the younger dog is pestering the older dog into playing, and the older dog is saying 'go away kid, you bother me.' If the younger dog does a playbow (like a bow with front legs on the ground and butt remaining up), then I don't expect your dog to get 'aggressive,' even though he may growl and snap. What would be a cause for alarm is if your dog chases the other dog and bites him... it'll happen very quickly... But if your dog just growls and snaps, he's chosen not to bite. And, if I'm right, I say let they work it out, b/c either the older one will play or the younger one will get bored.

However, I am not there to observe, so I may be missing something, and I can't explain all possible behaviors in one email... so that's why you need someone with more experience, just in case I am very wrong.

·
Banned
122 Posts
i dont really have much advice, just sympathy. i had to stay with my mother for a while and she has a 12 year old shepherd mix. i had my puppy with me. when he was younger, she would tolerate him. but as he got older, like around 8 months, she began to snarl and snap and growl at him. shes bitten him hard enough that he yiped. but he always goes back to bug her. the poor old girl cant get away from him fast enough! but anyway, the point is that no matter how angry she gets with him, she has never had the intent to seriously injure him. a bite to the ear, a snarl for a warning.. but never chasing him away or biting and not letting go. puppies are annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hanksimon,
I agree with what you are saying! His dog usually just walks up to mine, lifts his front leg and plants it on top of my dogs body...kind of like he's taking a righthanded jab at him. My dog used to do the playbow ALL the time to get other dogs to play but doesn't seem to do it anymore. That change is kind of one of my first thoughts on a change of attitude with my dog. Usually their 'playful' running around the house and pouncing on each other ends with a wimper from one of the. I can't tell which one wimpers, but I have noticed a couple tiny patchy areas missing hair and a couple tiny wounds on my dogs face.
My dog hasn't lost his 'constant tail wagging/i'm super excited to see people attitude' but I agree that he is taking a 'go away kid' attitude towards my roommates dog! I'll look into a trainer like you suggested!!!

You will need a trainer who uses positive methods to come and help. My interpretation is that the younger dog is pestering the older dog into playing, and the older dog is saying 'go away kid, you bother me.' If the younger dog does a playbow (like a bow with front legs on the ground and butt remaining up), then I don't expect your dog to get 'aggressive,' even though he may growl and snap. What would be a cause for alarm is if your dog chases the other dog and bites him... it'll happen very quickly... But if your dog just growls and snaps, he's chosen not to bite. And, if I'm right, I say let they work it out, b/c either the older one will play or the younger one will get bored.

However, I am not there to observe, so I may be missing something, and I can't explain all possible behaviors in one email... so that's why you need someone with more experience, just in case I am very wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Krystina,
I haven't seen any extreme aggression either. He's a pit/lab (pit build/all lab attitude) which makes it hard enough to get 'strangers' to realize he's no harm, so the last thing I want is him showing aggression to other dogs. The biggest thing that sparked me to join this forum is: this evening while we were walk, a smaller dog walked up to him and he just did the normal 'hey ya...wanna play' attitude but later a larger dog walked by. As I was talking to the lady walking the other dog he growled pretty furiously and made her lose her balance...i felt HORRIBLE!! He didn't jump/lunge on her or her dog but I think it just caught her off-guard so fast

i dont really have much advice, just sympathy. i had to stay with my mother for a while and she has a 12 year old shepherd mix. i had my puppy with me. when he was younger, she would tolerate him. but as he got older, like around 8 months, she began to snarl and snap and growl at him. shes bitten him hard enough that he yiped. but he always goes back to bug her. the poor old girl cant get away from him fast enough! but anyway, the point is that no matter how angry she gets with him, she has never had the intent to seriously injure him. a bite to the ear, a snarl for a warning.. but never chasing him away or biting and not letting go. puppies are annoying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your dog might need a "safety" zone in your apartment where he can get away from the other dog. Sometimes a large crate/dog kennel where he can den and not be bothered is helpful, you just leave the door open. Or leash the puppy in the apartment and step on it when he begins to rough house in the home to prevent it. My 1.5 year old and 8 month old dogs know the house is not a play area, outside is! Your dog is trying to tell you his patience is limited and is asking for assistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thing he is trying to adjust with the next dog or try to get him out of his home. His Aggressiveness can be a animal love language so give him some time to adjust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts