Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lhasa apso had his fur heavily matted in a boarding kennel, so he had to have his fur shaved off except for his tail, which is rather cute. Now, he isn't wanting to do anything, not even play or do tricks or eat pig ears. The only thing he does is scratching and licking his 'private parts' and also chasing his tail/butt and rubbing his hip all over the walls ad sofas. He is wormed and using frontline, and his anal glands have been checked. He is not peeing in the garden, which he usually does, but only in the park, so he hasn't peed for about 7 hours! He doesn't seem to want to do anything at all! Help, what shall I do? And how do I stop his itching and licking, as it is getting rather red and sore from all that? My parents refuse to take him to the vet, but monitor him for another week before doing so. Should I wait? Do dogs usually act strange after grooming? I've tried applying non itching cream and also lotion, but he licks it straight off again! I try and get him to do the tricks he know, but he isn't bothering, he just sits down in a weird position and stares at me. Help!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogs freak out after being groomed, because they are used to having long hair, and now feel naked. They can feel the wind on their skin, shaved areas are itchy, and if their tail has long hair and touches shaved areas it tickles.

Just walk him frequently to take his mind off it, and the moving will help him get used to the feel. Scratch on him, and tell him how beautiful he looks. He should be back to normal in a couple of days.

Cortisone cream on shaved areas can help stop itching if it's due to prickly shaved hair itching. But even without it (if he licks it off, stop using it), he'll be fine in a couple of days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts