Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,689 Posts
I, too, tried to use dog parks, on-leash meetings, and - for a brief period - doggy daycare to 'socialize' my dog. I failed to recognize that as my dog matured, he became more stressed in these situations and faster to correct other dogs, and was growing more wound up and tense overall because he could not handle the chaos and unpredictability in these scenarios. Leash meetings just meant he was constantly scanning for other dogs, and then immediately escalating to overstimulated and frustrated when he saw them. While some other dogs and owners at the dog parks were very responsible - watching their dogs closely and intervening before rude behavior escalated - many were totally uninterested in even knowing where in the park their dog was, meaning things often got out of control and many dogs there were too overexcited or stressed to behave nicely with others.

What this all lead to was my dog learning how to interact with dogs when everyone was in a heightened, overaroused state and a fight could break out any second. This isn't healthy socialization. Think about a human child learning how to socialize with their peers in a controlled, structured setting like kindergarten, summer camps, etc. vs them learning to socialize in a Lord of the Flies scenario. At almost nine I'm still working with my dog's leash reactivity and intense overreactions in dog-dog interactions, even between family dogs he knows well. He can live with our younger dog fine, and is good with my MiL's very even-tempered, calm Leonberger, but gets extremely stressed and snappy around my SiL's energetic and excitable spitz. I wish I had taught him to be neutral about other dogs in his environment, to focus more on me and not fixate on where other dogs are and what they're doing, but dog parks, doggie daycare, and allowing frequent on-leash meetings with other dogs taught him the opposite and now I'm working with the aftermath.

I no longer use dog parks unless they're totally empty (we leash up and leave immediately if someone else shows up). Some dogs are great dog park dogs, but many really don't do well with them. Same for doggie daycare - they tend to also be high-energy experiences where many dogs are amped up and overaroused, unless you're lucky enough to have one that manages their dogs super super well, allows frequent breaks to cool down and unwind, and keeps play groups very small and curated so everyone gets along.

I do take him on leashed group trail walks, where the focus is more on experiencing the walk and the sights/smells around than fixating on and interacting with the other dogs. I allow him to play and interact with select dogs I know he does well with and who have owners I trust to help manage the interaction and respect my boundaries when I say it's time to stop or we have to intervene with certain behaviors (mostly family members' dogs at the moment). I train fun tricks and enrichment games to keep his brain engaged, and take online classes when I can (I like the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy, which does offer scholarships for people who need financial assistance, if that sounds like something that'd work for you). He doesn't enjoy 99% of interactions with strange dogs, and that's okay.

See if you have a dog club in your area, or a local facebook/other social media group for dog-savvy people looking to connect. Dog clubs do often charge membership fees, but many are helpful if you reach out and explain you're looking for safer places to exercise/train your dog, or people willing to set up safe, controlled playdates.

It's also worth noting that this dog is a miniature poodle. I never had the extra concern that if something happened, he'd be blamed for starting the fight due to his breed. I never had to worry that I wouldn't be able to physically control him or remove him from an escalating situation. This is something you need to think about, both because you have a breed mix that shoulders the unfortunate burden of being seen as an 'aggressive' breed by much of the public, and because your dog is large, strong, and much more difficult to physically remove from a bad situation if he decides he's not going anywhere.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.