Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No need for Day Care and I absolutely advise against all Dog Parks. Pit Mix dogs usually do not do well in dog parks.

Your dog SHOULD react when a dog mounts him. It is rude behavior. As this continues and your dog matures he may someday decide enough is REALLY enough and the other dig may pay the price. Your dog could be injured badly as well.

Dog parks and day care are, IME, the lazy way to exercise your dog. Instead, take a training class or three or take your dog for walks. Bond with your dog. Dogs don't need other dogs to play with and, quite honestly, most do not WANT other dogs around them.

So, you spend more one on one time with your dog and drop day care and dog parks.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I am 100% on board with doggy daycare when at work (just doesn’t work for me). Some have smaller group settings. I wouldn’t take mine to the “throw 35 dogs in a gymnasium” type places, but yeah, I like daycare otherwise. I hate dog parks..... for all dogs.

With that said, I think you’re doing things right, but a daycare that would let that happen is a red flag...... after all..... what is the appropriate response to being raped?
A dog mounting another dog is non sexual arousal. It is not "rape." It often is a show of excitement or dominance in pack structure at that moment.

When I worked (out of the house 12 hours some days) I had both outdoor and indoor full size kennels for my dogs (5'x10' with 6 foot sides, out door kennel had dog house and a wire top and was shaded). I put a rabbit pan in the kennel indoors as a potty spot.

When I got home the FIRST order of business was to get the dog or dogs out. Then I would get changed if necessary and the next order of business was training and play with the dogs. AFTER that they would get fed (in kennels) while I prepared and at my own meal. After that I would have more dog interaction (if light out a walk, if dark out, house time). Bits or training were thrown in here and there.

Socialization is NOT about allowing your dog to play with other dogs (this is a common misconception). Socialization is getting your dog used to environmental things and focusing on you. It is absolutely NOT allowing other dogs to approach your dog or people to lean over your dog (very threatening to dogs) and pet it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.