Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, I have come to the conclusion that my big guy, Yansa, has chosen an alternative lifestyle. :p
All of the recent S/N threads got me to thinking about my only intact male especially since I now also have an unspayed female. All my dogs are rescues and were altered prior to adoption. Yansa came to me as a foster before any vet checks/sterilization. Artemis was placed with me permanently by a GSD rescue (no space for her) also before being vetted/sterilized. Initially sterilization was out of the question for both due to poor health. Once recovered I just never saw any reason, yet, to have either sterilized. I doubt Yansa ever will be but it is still a possibility for Artie in the future.
Anyway, he has never shown any interest in females. One of the female fosters I had was with us for 8 days and in full heat. Yansa never even acknowledged her existence. Another foster I had for a couple days was a gorgeous little male (still intact) Doberman. Yansa literally drooled over that poor little guys back. I had a heck of a time keeping him off the Dobie. Yansa has always been like this; ignore the girls, go for the guys.
As I already said, Yansa is a rescue and I’ve often wondered if that is the reason he was dumped. He’s a gorgeous GSD that someone probably wanted to use for breeding. No performance from that ‘stud’ though, at least not with the girls. :rolleyes:

Have any of you owned, or know of, a dog that was/is gay? I’m very interested in reading your stories here.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I won't comment on the gay situation. However,I believe it's a dominence,alpha dog thing.I'm sure if a female in heat comes his way,look out.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I won't comment on the gay situation. However,I believe it's a dominence,alpha dog thing.I'm sure if a female in heat comes his way,look out.
the OP did say he has been around bitches in heat. but f course there is the possablility they weren't in standing heat

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dogs breed by instinct not by desire, I don't think dogs or any other animal is capable of being "gay" (except humans)....he just may not have the extinct or it could be domince as well.

Even if he has no desire, he should still be neutered, his over all health and well being will be better for it. Your female as well should be spayed, not doing it b/c he has no desire is not a reason.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Actually, homosexual pairings of canids in the wild have been recorded.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
All right. I'll just say it. Dogs aren't gay. Dogs have no capacity to be a certain sexuality. They breed based on instinct. Not all dogs fit the mold and do what comes instinctively. Jack McCoy never showed interest in Smalls when she was in heat. Neither did my boyfriend's parent's dog and he's still intact. But I've seen him attempt to hump male and female dogs at the park in attempts to show dominance. I believe it's only humans and dolphins that have sex simply for pleasure. Dogs do not.

It's the same logic as saying female dogs who hump male dogs are trying to get sex.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There's many different species in which homsexual relationships have been recorded. I had a gay bird. Poor thing went a little crazy after his mate died.

My dog likes to hump the cat when she's excited. But they're different genders, so it's just an interspecies relationship lol

Edit: Just to add; humping is not always about dominance. Sometimes it's just for the fun of it in play or otherwise exciting moments.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hmm, I've been wondering about my Jackson. He is not the outdoorsman that his brother is and has a fascination with my clothes and makeup, and is always helping me in the kitchen. I prefer to think of him as metrosexual. :eek:

·
Registered
267 Posts
My dog Rinoa is a lesbian.

I think it's perfectly possible for animals to be gay. Like the gay penguins. I remember hearing about gay lions, too.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Dogs breed by instinct not by desire, I don't think dogs or any other animal is capable of being "gay" (except humans)....
Lions can be gay. And some chimps (or was it monkeys?)

·
Registered
190 Posts
There's a pair of gay flamingos that raise babies together. If I remember right they did everything the male/female pairs did aside from actually produce offspring; I believe they took in orphans instead.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Engaging in a homosexual relationship, both in four legged animals and human animals, does not have to involve sex.

A homosexual pair of animals will show an extremely strong bond, just like the heterosexual pairs. They won't breed, but they'll dote on each other and show little/no interest in the opposite sex.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I just want to say, like others have said, that humping is NOT always about dominence! Many dogs/bitches hump when excited... not excited as in aroused, but when they are playful and happy. My boy Bayne is an excited humper LOL

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I think I watched something on Animal Planet a while ago about a pair of male lions living together, very closely bonded, always nuzzling each other and sharing food, etc. They were joined by a third lion, who stayed a while with them, and then left. I can't remember when I watched it, but I thought it was really interesting - gay lions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well if he is gay there is not much point in neutering him is there ?
you don't really believe that do you??

A good breeder will breed her purbred dogs to BETTER the breed. She will go through will all the suggested testing, she will know everything that can go wrong as well as whelping information and issues etc etc.

pets should be fixed to protect their lives, it's been proven that a fixed dog will cut or demolish risk of certain cancers. Fixed dogs are less likely to wander this less likley to be hit by a car etc etc etc...there are a million resons shy you should fix your dog, but only a few as to why you shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts