Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and probably his teeth too.

Chico is a 6 month old pup, about 30 lbs. He hates being crated alone, and he's taken to biting the bars. There are now 3 or 4 spots in his cage, where he has bent the metal bars way out of shape with his teeth. These are about 3mm diameter steel rods that I could not bend by hand. If he keeps it up, I am worried he is going to break his teeth and/or brake the welds of his cage.

He has already learned how to escape his cage by pulling apart the clasps at the edges that let it fold flat,, so I had to duct tape those together. He then chewed off the duct tape, and pulled apart the clasps and got out. So now I zip tie the clasps shut and tape them as well, but he is going to break through the bars really soon.

The longest he has ever been left alone is 5 hours (and he escaped that time). I try not to leave him too long, but I have things in life that I have to do.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That sounds painful. Yikes! Have you tried leaving him in a bathroom or another small room you can puppy proof? You might try that instead to see if it's the crate he hates.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You might try crate training by scaffolding the amount of time in crate to increase to where he's comfortable. Then you'll be able to trust your dog alone in the crate.

Some dogs, IMO, take a lot of effort to use the crate properly. Ilya my husky has a love/hate relationship with his crate. He loves it with no door attached and if we do use the door, he can only tollerate about 4 hours before he starts to get too upset.

Have you tried the plastic crates? They are more like a den. Look for ones that have bars and vents that are not easily grasped by the dog's teeth.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not really a dog expert and I've only had one dog that so far has been really easy so take my advice with a grain of salt (and if anyone wants to say that my advice is bad or only works with dogs that aren't fearful of crates, please do).

But what I did ot make my dog comfortable in her crate (so that she would not cry when I was gone) was leave her in it with me in the room watching tv or doing whatever. I'd occasionally leave, let her yelp, and not return until she stopped (I would change rooms I'd hide in too). I would start doing this for longer and longer (when she started taking longer to start yelping). I would eventually come back, hang out in the room, and hten do it again at random intervals.

I was doing it so she'd be ok with me leaving though and she was happy in the crate when I got her as long as I was there with her. I don't know if yours is ok with the crate when you are there. But I think it got her used to the crate and reinforced it as a safe spot with her seeing that I was there a lot when she was in the crate (she already didn't mind the crate though when I got her but did mind me even leaving the room for a minute) and made it so she didn't associate the crate with me leaving (as well as getting her used to the idea that me leaving also meant I was coming back). As well as realizing that her acting out did not bring me back but that her being quiet did bring me back.

She still doesn't like me leaving I don't think (or rather I know of at least one place I cannot leave her without her crying and whining and acting like she's being beaten, and that's the vet's kennels cause the only time I've left her there I have not stayed with her and just left her. So she knows the kennels means I'm going away. So i know she views the crate as safe spot cause she's very good now about when I put her in the crate. in fact whne she senses I am about to go to work she eagerly runs into it. I still can't figure out why she seems eager about it *shrug* but hey, long as she feels comfortable there).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts